Drain Line for Washing Machine Overflow Drain Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

RavingFans

Reaction score
Hi folks, we had a Washer Leak (bad drain hose inside the washer) that put water everywhere in the laundry room, and into the hall. Fortunately we caught it in time and got the water contained/drained and had fans on it before anything was damaged.

I am thinking I would like to put the washer in a drain pan to protect the house (same for the dishwasher), but there is no point if i don't have a place for the drain pan to flow to. We don't have a floor drain.

What are the ramifications if I run a drain line out of the drain pan through the brick wall to run off on the patio? Does that break the building code rules? Is there a way to prevent bugs and critters from crawling up the drain pipe if I manage to put one in somehow?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_2051525.jpg
    IMG_20200430_2051525.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 159

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you do that and get a good slope on the drain line?
Another idea would be to elevate the machine. You work out the details, because I've never done it. Something like a pedestal?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
You might also look into the "FloodStop" brand of point-of-use leak sensor/water shut-off valve. If a supply hose bursts there's no guarantee the spray of water will be limited to the drain pan.

RavingFans

Reaction score
Can you do that and get a good slope on the drain line?
Another idea would be to elevate the machine. You work out the details, because I've never done it. Something like a pedestal?
Thanks--slope on the drain should be possible. we're only 6" or so away from the wall, so a total of say 1.5' max run to the outside of the wall.

Is it a problem if I drill through the sill plate to get to the outside of the house? I'm thinking of the same solution for our dishwasher which is also right next to the same outside wall, but 15 feet away.

The Washer is on a pedestal with a handy drawer we never use. I could possible convert that to a tank, but not sure it would catch all the water without some serious mods.

RavingFans

Reaction score
If its on a finished floor it should have a drain pan and drained outside. Just use your imagination to make it bug proof.
Thanks--same question as to dj2 on the sill plate--is it ok to drill through the sill plate for the washer and the dishwasher? I'm sure I can get enough slope to drain. Worst case I put down a sheet of plywood to get some elevation on the washer. can't do that for the dishwasher though...

For imagination, I'm thinking a little hinged flap to cover the pvc pipe, and let gravity hold it shut. Will test to make sure it drains.

Last edited:

RavingFans

Reaction score
You might also look into the "FloodStop" brand of point-of-use leak sensor/water shut-off valve. If a supply hose bursts there's no guarantee the spray of water will be limited to the drain pan.

Thanks, didn't realize this existed--checking it out now.

Cutting off the supply sounds really important thinking through the problem, but if the washer or dishwasher are full of water and the hoses go bad or drain line is clogged somehow, then water will go on the floor even if the supply is cut off.

I think I need to solve the both the supply issue as well as the drain problem if I'm considering all water issues from these appliances.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks