Drain issues with septic tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Ochambers

Reaction score
A few months ago we noticed the front bathroom sink was draining slowly at times. Within the past week the tub is doing the same. Now today the sink is fine but the tub will not drain at all and there is a fine silt that has come up thru the drain. None of the other drains are affected at all throughout the house and the toilet in there flushes fine. I'm baffled cause if there was a block in the drain there our other bathroom would back up since its at the far end of the line. I'm going to have to call out a plumber but wanted some opinions before they come cause I'm tired of getting taken advantage of.

Reach4

Reaction score
When did you have your septic tank pumped? If in doubt do it. The penalty for doing it sooner than needed is minor. The penalty for putting it off too long is major.

Ochambers

Reaction score
When did you have your septic tank pumped? If in doubt do it. The penalty for doing it sooner than needed is minor. The penalty for putting it off too long is major.

It has only been a couple years. If it was the septic backing up wouldn't there be a smell?

Reach4

Reaction score
The symptom would usually be that it stops accepting water. It should never get to that point.

I am not saying that your problem is that.

How long did your septic guy say you should go until the next cleaning?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
None of the other drains are affected at all throughout the house and the toilet in there flushes fine.

If the toilets work fine, I would check for drain blockage.

Hair accumulates in the bathroom sink and shower.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the toilets work fine, I would check for drain blockage.
Can be, and probably is a drain blockage.

But if this tub is the lowest drain in the house, I would get that tank pumped now. Even with no symptom, getting a septic tank pumped after "a couple of years", when you don't have a reliable history to go on, seems like a good idea to me.

Analysis as to the probable time reasonable between septic tank emptying would need the capacity of the tank, number of people, if there is a garbage disposal, how much toilet paper the people tend to use etc... and even if I knew all of that, I could not make a prediction.

So suppose getting the tank pump costs $225. If the tank needs emptying every 3 years, and it has only been 2 years, only $75 has been "wasted". But I see that as not a waste, because it offers useful information.

On the other hand, if the tank is full too long, and a new leach field ends up being needed, that could be $7500 in addition to yard work to get grass again.

Ochambers

Reaction score
The symptom would usually be that it stops accepting water. It should never get to that point.

I am not saying that your problem is that.

How long did your septic guy say you should go until the next cleaning?

I don't remember them saying when I should do it again. I think its worth doing now even if thats not the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks