Drain hose disconection (separated) in washing machine and water flooding

Users who are viewing this thread

a_2008

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have a portable top loader washing machine 1.5 Cu. Ft. (Haier HLP23E),7 months ago ,connection hose between drain pump and drain hose separated and all water in tube came out and flooded my bathroom, it was terrible. I connected it again with spring hose clamp and a little adhesive and it was fine for six or seven month but again yesterday it separated from drain hose and hopefully this time water level was very low and I had a drain pan under washing machine so damage was nothing. Current problem is with connection hose when the machine was draining, water began to spew out of the under of the washing machine, connection drain hose that the machine's drain hose is hooked into. . It doesn’t get secure and will separated again and again if I don’t fix it essential Now I purchase a new drain hose and drain hose connection to replace those parts. Is there any Adhesive to use?

1. What Can I do to secure drain hose to avoid happening again since I’m in 3rd floor and high level of water will ruin all units?

2. Is connecting drain hose to pump with this hose clamp enough?

3. What Can I install between connection to stop coming out water rapidly? (Because when it disconnected and separated all 1.5 cu.ft. water comes out and all carpet gets dirty, I cannot stop it with turning off water since water is in tube)

I would appreciate your help.

First image is old and is before disconnection:
this time will use this clamp and replace drain hose

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I would switch. Looks like it may be a design issue or perhaps the clamp was installed incorrectly. What did the old hose look like inside? What does the nipple look like?

I used to hate those spring clamps and would blindly replace them everywhere. Then, I tried using worm clamps on the fuel return lines on an old Ford diesel. Now I am a believer. I have vehicles with over 200,000 miles on them with never a spring clamp leak. It just depends...

JamaicaJoe

Reaction score
Most of the new washers and dishwasher use a corrugated plastic hose from the pump to the drain hose. They are crap and split at the corrugations after a few years. My dishwasher failed this way and I had a slow leak for months from small cracks. I had no idea until it burst. It can cause a lot of uninsured damage. Have a competent repairman replace it with a proper rubber hose and fittings. Usually the clamps are simply spring clamps which is sufficient because there is no pressure. If they are plastic clamps, or you have and concern about whats there, have worm screw type clamps (Jubilee clamps) installed. There are other places washers and dishwashers can leak. After every repair, I slide a flattened brown paper grocery bag underneath to check for water drops.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The screw clamps can be problematic with rubber hoses. A properly designed spring clamp and fitting for it will have even pressure all around. A worm clamp will have more pressure under the screw assembly itself. That can crack a plastic fitting over time, and the uneven pressure can cut through a rubber hose. IOW, while there are places where they can be used successfully, there are definitely places where they should be avoided and a spring clamp is by far the better choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks