Drain for water softener

Users who are viewing this thread

John in Klickitat

Reaction score
I would like to put a Fleck water softener next to my washing machine and somehow use the washing machine drain pipe. The problem is the drain pipe is 35" tall and the drain outlet on the Fleck cabinet is lower than that, with 27" height.

Is there a way to use the washing machine drain pipe for the water softener's drain that would meet code? I was thinking of putting a wye on the drain pipe low and catching the output from the water softener in a lower vertical pipe off the wye. But it seems like there would need to be a backflow valve to prevent the water and suds from the washing machine from spilling out.

Is there a good solution for this that would likely meet code? Sorry if this is a really basic question with an obvious solution.

Reach4

Reaction score
The drain on the softener can go much higher than where the fitting is on the valve. 1/2 inch ID 5/8 OD tubing would be the common way to go that short distance that you have.

There are air gaps for softener drain lines made to fit into a 2 inch standpipe with a washing machine hose in place.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Various manufactured air gap devices are shown on this page: https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/275

Some softeners continue to include an overflow drain connection on the side of the brine tank in case too much water should enter the brine tank. As overflow would rely on gravity to drain, that drain connection would need to be lower than the height of the drain hole located on the side of the brine tank.

As many (virtually all Fleck) softeners now incorporate a safety float and safety valve within the brine tank to prevent overflow should there be a control valve malfunction or power outage during brine fill, that will usually eliminate the need for a brine tank overflow connection. If the softener you intend to obtain is equipped with a brine tank overflow connection AND a safety float and valve, it may be possible to block off the brine tank connection with a suitable plug or valve.

John in Klickitat

Reaction score
Thanks Bannerman, I think I'll cut the drain pipe and put a wye at the top with one for the air gap and the other for the washing machine hose.

Thanks Reach4, I'll move the drain in the cabinet as high as it can go.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Just to be clear, are you talking of only the drain coming out of the head itself and not the overflow drain on the brine tank? The brine overflow drain is gravity only so has to go down hill.

John in Klickitat

Reaction score
LLigetfa,

This is the overflow drain on the brine tank. I wasn't sure if I would have to put in a separate drain for that or if I could use the washing machine drain pipe. I filed a permit that included the water softener so I wanted to set up the water softener so that it was code and passed inspection. Thanks.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Many softeners no longer include an overflow drain connection on the brine tank as the safety float & valve is intended to ensure no additional water will be added once the float is raised, closing the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks