Drain configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Jklompus3

Reaction score
Trying to connect my utility sink to the rough-in done by a plumber and having a hard time getting it attached due to tight clearance. I came up with the configuration in the first attached picture but inspector says it is too restricted due to sweeps at the top. He wants a straight tailpiece into the trap. Any ideas? I tried two 45s but not enough vertical distance. I also tried the Snappy Trap (second picture) but hate to use those types of things.

20220613_203721.jpg
20220613_204206.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
inspector says it is too restricted due to sweeps at the top. He wants a straight tailpiece into the trap. Any ideas?
While I may agree that the arrangement is suboptimal, did he give you a code citation prohibiting it? If not, it's allowed.

Would a straight down tailpiece intersect the tubular trap arm as you currently have it? If so, then there's no solution with a straight tailpiece into a trap that doesn't involve removing the solvent weld wye and redoing it.

With the two 45s, did you try that on the vertical upstream of the trap? Seems like that should fit, but would not be a straight tailpiece into the trap. However, there's no requirement for a straight tailpiece into a trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Jklompus3

Reaction score
While I may agree that the arrangement is suboptimal, did he give you a code citation prohibiting it? If not, it's allowed.

Would a straight down tailpiece intersect the tubular trap arm as you currently have it? If so, then there's no solution with a straight tailpiece into a trap that doesn't involve removing the solvent weld wye and redoing it.

With the two 45s, did you try that on the vertical upstream of the trap? Seems like that should fit, but would not be a straight tailpiece into the trap. However, there's no requirement for a straight tailpiece into a trap.

Cheers, Wayne
Yes, straight tailpiece would very nearly intersect drain wye male fitting. Picture of 45s attached; very little distance and would need to create some very short stubs to connect slip joints.

20220611_155420.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the last picture, looks like if you pull the trap outlet elbow farther out of the trap adapter, and rotate the trap j-bend inlet closer to the trap adapter, you can end up with the trap j-bend inlet closer to the tailpiece (as seen from above). That should let your two 45s line up.

So then you just need to figure out how to make the connections. Rather than use 45s with SJs on each end, it would be easier to work with a 45 with a SJ inlet and a tubular outlet. Then you can just do tailpiece - SJ 45 - SJ 45 - ptrap j-bend, without using any short sections of pipe.

They make "double slip joint tubular offsets" that have two 45s bends in the tubular part, with SJs at each end. If you get one of those and cut it in half, you end up with (2) SJ x tubular 45s.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks