Drain / Cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

old_college_try

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put in a water softener and just watched my next door neighbor's install. The plumber drilled a hole in the top of his PVC clean-out outside of his house and stuck the drain line in there. I had him called to have the plumber come back out to correct cross connection. Here in Florida they often drain the water softener straight into the ground, so that's what he ended up doing. It got me thinking about my install though. I'm not crazy about jamming a pipe into the ground. Would it be acceptable to tie into the riser for my cleanout with a P-trap and install a standpipe just above ground level? If that's acceptable, I would then drain my water softener through an air gap into the standpipe. My cleanout happens to be in a convenient location just 3ft from where I want to put this out there.

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
A properly installed pee trap w/ stand pipe & air gap will be good. Design it so you can remove it in order to use the cleanout if needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks