Drain Cleaner Preference

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by cbrace55, Dec 5, 2020.

1. cbrace55

cbrace55 New Member

Any thoughts on type of sewer pipe drain cleaner to use. One that is safe to pipes and toilet, but also effective. Some folks like the foaming kind, and others copper sulfate.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I use Bio-Clean for the pipes. It works well for grease buildup.
    Mix with warm water and pour down the drains at night before going to bed for seven days. It turns grease into carbon dioxide.

http://www.bio-clean.com/bioclean/

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Your post makes me think you think you have a problem with tree roots. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/replace-sewer-main-line-or-use-rootx.74383/
    So that thread probably addresses your direct question best.

If you have clay tiles that get root blockage, I would get the line replaced with PVC, with an outside cleanout added. Or at least get it replaced to the sidewalk, and get it rodded periodically through your new outdoor cleanout. Note that if you do get PVC installed, there are steps I would take to make the lawn scar not so long-lasting.

If you get sewer backups in heavy rains, then maybe the project could be expanded to take care of that too.

5. chefwong

chefwong Member

Can someone extrapolate further on how these enzymes work ? I've been thinking about this. What keeps these on the walls of the OM in the pipe versus just following the water ?

Sometimes, I pour it right when the kitchen sink is last used.
    If I wake up early, I will pour another 2-3 cups of water so that some of the -enzyme product- gets out of the trap and more into the pipe without completely being flushed out before the morning get's going and the faucets are in use.

What keeps these -enzymes- from actually attacking/attaching etc the Organic Matter in the Pipe versus just being flushed out as the water passes through it. If you just pour it down @ night, the majority of it may sit in the trap. If you pour some more water, then some of that mix should carryover into the -run- of the drain lines.