Drain bar sink to mechanical room floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

MSiep

Reaction score
Would this be acceptable with respect to IRC 2018? The furnace and humidifier already drain to the floor drain. I'm wondering if I can add a bar sink on the other side of the wall and drain it to the floor drain in a similar manner:
IMG_20190208_173556.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would be no different than if you sloped the floor to allow liquids to run across the room into a distant floor drain. In reality it works to drain, but because of the hygienic issue, it is not an approved method.

MSiep

Reaction score
It would be no different than if you sloped the floor to allow liquids to run across the room into a distant floor drain. In reality it works to drain, but because of the hygienic issue, it is not an approved method.

Thanks. The liquid would not run across the room, but would be in a pipe right up to the drain. What if it used an air gap kit like this? https://www.plumbingsupply.com/airgap-fixture.html

tru-gap-air-gap-shown-assembled.jpg

MSiep

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I guess connecting to the pipe under the concrete is the only option in that case. Not a DIY job in my case. I appreciate your help with this question.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

How funny that you wrote this. I was thinking something similar about showers I see in parts of Seattle. There is s floor drain, and in a corner far away they want a shower head. The homeowner figures the water from showering will make it's way to the floor drain across the basement floor.

Now granted, this one is a pipe, but as plumbers we know how that turns out too. The inside of the pipe gets gooey and smelly, Yuck.
That's why we're plumbing enclosed systems that vent through the roof with p-traps to contain smells and only small vertical sections above the p-trap to worry about. And those need cleaning too.

hair-in-drain.jpg

hair-in-drain-3.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks