Drain Back Question

Users who are viewing this thread

John B H

Reaction score
I'm running water from my well (pitiless adapter) to a house with a crawl space; no basement. I leave the property in the winter and want to drain everything to below frost line. Is there a valve I can put in the well drop pipe between the pit less adapter and the submersible pump that I could manually open and close? Or is there a valve I could put somewhere in the line from pitless to house, below grade with a small drain field, that I could manually operate? I know I can drain everything above grade at the house but I'm trying to figure out that short distance from grade to frost line. Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A regular ball valve on a tee off the main line will do that. You could also put a brass bleeder in the well below the pitless. As long as you do not have an above ground check valve the bleeder will stay closed when the well pump is working between 40 and 60 PSI. When you are ready to leave just turn off the breaker to the pump and open a kitchen faucet. When the bladder tank is empty and the pressure drops to zero, the bleeder will open and drain everything from the kitchen sink to below the pitless. When you come back just turn on the breaker. After the air is out you can close the faucet and be back in business.

John B H

Reaction score
Thank you valveman. I like the bleeder valve in the drop pipe recommendation. I'm having trouble finding one online, can you point me tone? Thanks so much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks