Double Vanity Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer123

Reaction score
I am in the process of remolding our main floor bathroom and I am re-plumbing the double vanity drains. The drain originally were plumbed into a 2" drain stack via two sanitary tees, one ontop of the other. The two 2" stack continues up and ties into the main vent above the ceiling in the attic and is a vent only (this 2" does not act as a drain for anything upstairs). The three main reason for re-plumbing the sinks were:

1.) The stacked tee configuration put the traps at different elevations and the lower tee put the trap almost at the bottom of the vanity floor making trap removal a pain.

2.) There is a heating return duct in the wall directly behind one of the vanity sinks so the original plumbing had jogged into the back of the vanity at some shallow angle needing an ugly hole in the vanity back and a sloppy looking configuration at the trap.

3.) My wife wanted recessed medicine cabinets and lights above the mirrors and I had the room to build the wall out.

After doing extensive reading I decided to the following:

• Cut the 2 - 2 x 1-1/2 sanitary tees out of the stack
  • Installed a 2 x 2 wye in the vertical low to the floor to bring the 2" stack into the new wall location and continue the original stack up
  • Installed a 2 x 1-1/2 double fixture tee in the jogged out drain location
  • Tied the new 1-1/2 fixture vent and original 2" vent back together with an inverted 2 x 1-1/2" wye
Originally I was going to put the vent stack inverted wye up by the celling but unfortunately it will interfere with my other recessed mirror, so plan B.

Per plumbing code the vent branch should be 6" above the flood rim of the fixture. so for me that 42".

Question 1: Where on the wye is that measured? I assume that is where the water would flow over the rim of the inverted wye, is this correct?

Question 2: This would put my wye into my recessed mirror still, given I could have just jogged out the drain and jogged the vent back would this really be subject to the 6" rule given the setup of the vents?

I have attached a picture of the 42" setup in its unglued state, ideally I would like to lower the inverted wye a few inches if it is a non issue to let me not worry about the mirror interference.
20160116_140146_resized.jpg

Last edited:

DIYer123

Reaction score
I believe I have the correct double fixture tee (not a double sanitary tee) I just need to understand if the vent branch rule applies here. I do not believe the 2" vent above the main bottom wye is required, I just did it to make it a littler more robust then jogging the stack in and out of the wall. If I had jogged the 2" out into the new wall and picked up the two fixtures then jogged back into the old wall with the 1-1/2 vent this wouldn't be a vent branch. And maybe that what I should do.

Just wanted to understand where the 42" should be measured to and if the 6" rule applies here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks