Double vanity, one gassy sink

Users who are viewing this thread

inexplorata

Reaction score
I appear to be the victim of a previous owner's remodel.

The right sink on a double vanity isn't vented correctly, I think. When I get my nose down in there it stinks, only when the water is running/has just run. The left sink, no problem.

I'm fearful of what I'll find if I go through the wall; on the plus side, there's lots of room. :)

I've been reading here what *should* be back there...Am I missing something obvious? Or is it just a case of tearing out sheetrock to see what's what?

Attachments

• undervanity.jpg
    undervanity.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 4,151

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

You tried WHAT? Why should it be strange for just one sink to do it if it is the overflow which your description indicates it is? If only one has a buildup, then only that one will give an odor.

inexplorata

Reaction score
You tried WHAT? Why should it be strange for just one sink to do it if it is the overflow which your description indicates it is? If only one has a buildup, then only that one will give an odor.

I tried cleaning out the overflow, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Since only one sink stunk, that led me first to cleaning the overflow, as well as taking apart that trap to see what was built up there. Sadly, both are now clean-as-new, and the problem remains.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

HOW did you clean it? Unless you used a strong chemical to "burn" the debris out, it is still there. If the odor happens when you turn the faucet on, then it IS coming from the overflow.

inexplorata

Reaction score
Just posting to say you boys were absolutely right, I went more serious on the chemicals to clean the overflow again, and the smell has gone for good this time. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks