Double vanity install. How does this look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Imintrouble

Reaction score
I'm having second thoughts now and I'm not sure why. Can you give me some advice as to whether or not this looks kosher. The only thing I think is missing is the cleanout below the double sanitary tee and a larger nail plate for protecting the sole plate.

Here's what's going on in the pic. Double vanity install to the double tee. Vents from the washing machine stand pipe and and the one to its left is the vent from the shower stall. Those two vents meet with the double vanity above the 42 inch March. About 50 or so for convenience. The clean covers on the ends of the sink openings are just dry fitted in there to keep gases out for now. They will be replaced with a stub out. The vents go to an attic above and out the roof. Everything is 2in

Major question is the cleanout. I know it would be something I may regret not putting in later but how necessary is it. I have no way of putting it in above or below the pipe and making it accessible. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The two errors in the piping are the lack of a cleanout AND the use of the sanitary cross. Because of the cross the cleanout could be VERY necessary some time in the future. In this area the installation would have failed inspection because of these two issues.

double_lav_rough_2.jpg

Imintrouble

Reaction score
The two errors in the piping are the lack of a cleanout AND the use of the sanitary cross. Because of the cross the cleanout could be VERY necessary some time in the future. In this area the installation would have failed inspection because of these two issues.
Thanknyou for the reply. If I were to install a cleanout below the sanitary cross would this solve both plumbing errors? Meaning the use of a sanitary cross is only an error because of the lack of a cleanout?

Thanks again

Imintrouble

Reaction score
Outstanding post. Thank you.

Now on to the cleanout. Can I do a cleanout that is set below the double fixture tee that I will add but is pointed to the right and then has an elbow to come out the opening behind the vanity on the right. The reason why I ask is because the area behind the double fixture tee is a closed behind the vanity and id hate to put a hole in the back of the vanity for this. To accomplish this i would use a sanitary tee with about a foot of 2in tubing connected to it that ends in an elbow with a cleanout.

Thanks again for the help.

Reach4

Reaction score
img_6.jpg

I am not a plumber. I did not picture what you proposed as a cleanout.

You would rather the cleanout come out of the wall near the vanity rather than inside the vanity?

How about having the cleanout(s) come out in the laundry room?

Last edited:

Imintrouble

Reaction score
I could have it come out in the laundry room and that would be fine but id rather the clranout for this vanity come out in the vanity. My words above may not have been clear. What I'm looking to do is make essentially what is e to f in the picture above right below the double fixture tee. It would be to the left of the trap and below but still in the opening of the vanity where f comes out. Does that work?

Imintrouble

Reaction score
Done and done. I'll take a picture after it's complete so you can all approve. Thanks again for all the help.

Imintrouble

Reaction score
btw, neither home depot or lowes seem to stock a double fixture fitting. they only stock the double sanitary tee. a search of their sites allows you to order this and have it delivered. i felt that this was very odd for what is likely a fairly common requirement. seems like many people like me will have plumbed this with the wrong fitting. ordered it elsewhere and will be here on sunday. will post shortly after. thanks again.

Imintrouble

Reaction score
would you all be able to comment on the install below the picture above? this is in a full basement and I have no restrictions. i'm trying to tie in the shower and the vanity drain while also connecting a vent for the shower through the drain. i'm also adding a vent to the picture above for the toilet. this is seen in the leftmost portion of the picture. my biggest questions besides the obvious issues you may find are:

1. do I need a secondary cleanout below the double vanity cleanout (wye +1/8 with cleanout behind) or is an elbow sufficient enough that goes directly to the main drain. I know there are specific rules about change of direction and that would be a 90 degree change but this area is very confusing to me
2. the toilet gets a 4x4x2 sanitary tee which connects to the vent below the flange but above the wye and 1/8 that connects to the main drain. should a cleanout be after the sanitary tee on the line to the vent or would that not work?

btw the reason for the addition of the toilet vent to above is that when I went to vent through the wall right next to the toilet i realized a joist was directly underneath the wall leaving me without an option there. when i make the other adjustments you suggested above i'll connect another line to the vent at around 50" above. i think i'm well within fixture units to complete this according to the charts i found. all plumbing but the toilet and main drain is 2". main drain and toilet will be 4. nothing else is connected on this septic system.

here's an image - I did my best. I am certainly not a plumber or an artist. thanks again for all the help. trying my best here to do the research

Imintrouble

Reaction score
would you all be able to comment on the install below the picture above? this is in a full basement and I have no restrictions. i'm trying to tie in the shower and the vanity drain while also connecting a vent for the shower through the drain. i'm also adding a vent to the picture above for the toilet. this is seen in the leftmost portion of the picture. my biggest questions besides the obvious issues you may find are:

1. do I need a secondary cleanout below the double vanity cleanout (wye +1/8 with cleanout behind) or is an elbow sufficient enough that goes directly to the main drain. I know there are specific rules about change of direction and that would be a 90 degree change but this area is very confusing to me
2. the toilet gets a 4x4x2 sanitary tee which connects to the vent below the flange but above the wye and 1/8 that connects to the main drain. should a cleanout be after the sanitary tee on the line to the vent or would that not work?

btw the reason for the addition of the toilet vent to above is that when I went to vent through the wall right next to the toilet i realized a joist was directly underneath the wall leaving me without an option there. when i make the other adjustments you suggested above i'll connect another line to the vent at around 50" above. i think i'm well within fixture units to complete this according to the charts i found. all plumbing but the toilet and main drain is 2". main drain and toilet will be 4. nothing else is connected on this septic system.

here's an image - I did my best. I am certainly not a plumber or an artist. thanks again for all the help. trying my best here to do the researchE]

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect you don't need the toilet vent, and maybe not the cleanout at the toilet either. A toilet does not need a vent to avoid a trap siphon; it is supposed to siphon, and then gets refilled. I know there is a vent associated with a toilet at times. So I don't know what those times are.
sorry for posting images sideways - i just can't figure it out either.

If using Windows, the Paint program has a rotate function.

Imintrouble

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The toilet is real close to The main line that runs out the house. At the point of running out the house it has a vent that comes up and vents out the side. This is all within say 5 feet of the toilet.

Would that be sufficient enough for the toilet or is that too far downstream or not the be used for that.

Imintrouble

Reaction score
here's the double fixture fitting and the new cleanout. is the cleanout good with the elbow like that? It will clean up better past the drywall otherwise I would use a 45 degree there which looks really nice and has a nice angle. thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks