Double to Single Basin Kitchen Sink - Plumbing Routing Q's

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul1FL

Reaction score
I'm switching from a double to single basin kitchen sink. The photo below shown the sink purchased with a single drain offset to the left side:

And here is the original plumbing layout with the double basin sink:

On the new sink, the garbage disposal will nearly be in the same location as before (left side). The problem arises in that the Sanitary Tee fitting is pointed in the wrong direction to link together with a P-trap directly off the disposal. Also, the Sanitary Tee and all the downstream plumbing to the back cabinet wall are glued in place.

The best way I can see to effectively layout the new plumbing is to keep the disposal's current horizontal discharge pipe. Then, where the second sink was draining down on the right, eliminate the unused strainer sleeve and tailpiece (circled in red). A cap or new 90° elbow could be retrofitted to seal off that area. This edited photo shows what I'm proposing:

If done this way, the original P-trap, Sanitary Tee, Oatey AAV, etc. could be utilized with no change. Will this solution have adequate draining and up to code? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sink - Bello.jpg
Plumbing - Bello 600px.jpg
Plumbing - Bello Edit 600px.jpg

Last edited:

Paul1FL

Reaction score
I'm not seeing pictures. You can upload as attachments. 800 pixels or less.

Thanks Terry. Edited my original post to include 3 attachments. Had to reduce size to 600px since 200KB seems to be max file size allowed.

end-outlet-90.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like your simplest choice.

Similar height?

I think a slip joint elbow would be the better choice.
white-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-c9675-64_100.jpg

It looks like you could shorten up on your trap arm a bit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that will work slip joint 90. might be a little flimsey ? would definately look mickey mouse to me. if cutting it off and rebuilding it too much work though that should still drain fine. no one looks under there anyway?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They p-trap can be cut back closer to the santee and then use the connector with the 90 on the end. That would be quick and easy.

end-outlet-90-02.jpg

This fitting looks almost like the one above. :)

Last edited:

Paul1FL

Reaction score
Really appreciate the replies thus far! And yes, since there will no longer be support from the second drain plumbing, I will definitely cut the horizontal sections aft of the disposal and p-trap as short as possible. This will make the plumbing assembly more rigid. Also will install a 90° elbow in lieu of capping the current fitting. And Jeff, cutting everything off and rebuilding isn't a practical option at the moment since not enough excess drain pipe exposed. And not prepared to cut into the wall at this time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks