Double sink vanity with 1.5 inch pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Lehman

Reaction score
I am preparing to install an 84" vanity with dual sinks, and then I find out the sink drains are 34" apart. That would require individual p-traps. But when I opened the wall, the existing single sink vanity drains into a 1.5" vertical pipe. This is a 1928 home, with various remodels over the years, and there is no way to get a 2" pipe to the top floor master bathroom without tearing out floors and ceilings. When I proposed to the inspector the
method I found on these forums from Terry Love, they said it violates the code.

I don't get it. If the sinks are 30" apart, they can share a p-trap and go out the single 1.5" drain. But at 34", with a much more robust setup such as this, they say 'no'. Not only is the flow out a vanity sink small, but as anyone who has shared a bathroom with dual vanity knows, it would be rare for both sinks to be draining much water at the same time.

I don't know what I can do.

single_to_double_lav.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, not code by the book, but it's as good as you can get without changing out all the pipe below to 2".

Also, showers in the 60's and before were 1.5" and they have always worked well. That was with the old high flow shower heads too. Now the code is 2.0" for a shower with 2.5 GPM heads.

I'm sorry it didn't work out.

double-lav-3.jpg

This is current code in Washington State for a double lav now. It's too bad he's not cutting you some slack for a remodel of an older home though.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC Table 703.2 says 1-1/2" drain is good for 2 DFUs when vertical, and 1 DFU when horizontal. So if the existing 1-1/2" is all vertical, then it should be fine to drain two lavatories into it. Unless Washington State has amended that?

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like that call Wayne! and the inspector shouldn't push that even if he could second floor difficult situation I would respectfully ask him to reconsider . but you have to split them in 2 you can't wet vent 2 lavs on 1 1/2" line

Cej22

Reaction score
Replying to an older thread in order to not create clutter. Apologies if that's bad form around here.

For the configuration in the pic in the original post, are the dimensions between fittings relevant at all? Can you tie the second vent into the original line lower than is shown? My assumption is that you can, but I'm not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks