Double sink backing up after replacing garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Bhavdeep

Reaction score
Hi - I am running into a situation that many of you have run into before but I could not find the best solution to it after searching through these forums and also googling other options for over a day. My garbage disposal in the kitchen sink stopped working after 15 years and I just replaced it and now each of my sinks starts backing up to the other rather than flowing out of the drain, regardless of whether I switch on the garbage disposal or not. if I run water into the large sink (not connected to disposal) it eventually flow our from the top of the disposal inlet. If I run water into the disposal sink it flows out of the other one. Once I let it sit it drains out itself after about 5-10 minutes. I did not change the plumbing at all - just removed and replaced the disposal. The picture is attached. Same plumbing worked perfectly fine for 15 years since the house was built and we never had this issue. The old disposal was a 1/2 HP Insinkerator and the new one is a Moen 3/4 hp unit that runs at 2700 rpm compared to the old one that ran at 1725 rpm. The drain outlet on the new one is at 6 7/8" from the top of the sink mount and the old one was at 6 1/2". I thought the drain behind it may be clogged but I removed both traps and snaked it about 5 feet from each drain side. I also tried the Vinegar trick on both sides. Still no resolution.

IMG_1414.jpg

Any other tips or guidance would be very helpful.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The problem is further back in the wall I would guess. What I'm seeing looks okay.
You might need to bring in someone with proper snaking equipment. You have a new disposer, but that fact that the old one was 15 years old could have created problems. The chipping blades get dull, and instead of small chips, they can put out long peels, which down flow well.
I like to see disposers replaced every ten years for that reason. If you call tech support they won't agree with me, however, they're not the ones pulling the p-traps filled with food matter either.

You can get bio cleaners that clean up the grease. They turn it into Carbon Dioxide. I put that down my drains every so often. I've been in this home for 15 years and have never needed to snake the drain. I also have replaced the disposers twice now. The one that came with the house was so bad it was wanting to twist my sink out of the cabinet. That one got tossed right away. The new one is an Insinkerator PRO 880LT
Super quiet.

Bhavdeep

Reaction score
Thanks - I'm concerned about putting down bio cleaners since I am on a septic system. I do get my septic pumped out every two years so maybe I can try that route and if not get someone with a powered snake to go further down...

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this kitchen over a basement?

Bhavdeep

Reaction score
Yup - over a finished basement.... but the problem is solved thanks to Terry. I rented a 50 foot powered snake from Home Depot and snaked out the drain line from the disposer trap backwards, then ran a garden hose for 20 minutes and it flowed well after the snaking. Before the snaking it would start to back up with the garden hose after 2-3 min. Assembled the trap and glad to report no more backing up problem. Keeping fingers crossed that this is a permanent solution (at least for the next 10 years)....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks