Double Sink and Washing Machine

Users who are viewing this thread

jplundma

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

New to the forums, though I have read a lot.

Project Scope:
-Turning upstairs master bath from single to double sink. Current vent and drain are 1.5" (Pic 3)
-I need to make sure I comply with plumbing codes in MN for the inspection. http://www.iapmo.org/Pages/MinnesotaPlumbingCode.aspx
-I did see some picture of a way terry would do a 1.5" pipe. (Pic 1)
-The line that would have the two faucets flowing has a kitchen drain that drops in before it connects to the 3" drain. (Pic 2)

My count is that each bath faucet is 1. kitchen is 2. So I would have 4 DFU in one 1.5" horizontal that hits the 3" drain.

3" drain would have 2 bath faucets, kitchen sink, shower, toilet for 9 DFU.

I added a PDF of 3 options that i think are doable. Option 1 is easiest, Option 2 I believe gets me to the right amount of DFU on a line. Option 3 gets me to a 2" drain from bath faucets.

Any suggestions or advice would be so appriciated!

Thank you for all your help. What a great forum this is.

Attachments

• single_to_double_lav.jpg
    single_to_double_lav.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2685.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Options.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 99

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That double lav picture is only to be used as a last resort.
If you have access to larger pipes then you should cut in the proper size pipes.
Option 3 is best, and with that you need to increase to 2" for the kitchen sink. Kitchens are 2" on the waste side before the vent and trap arm which can be 1.5". There should be a 2" cleanout on the kitchen sink.
Option 3 has 2" running to the two lavs with a double fixture fitting, 1.5" on the trap arms and vent.

jplundma

Reaction score
That double lav picture is only to be used as a last resort.
If you have access to larger pipes then you should cut in the proper size pipes.
Option 3 is best, and with that you need to increase to 2" for the kitchen sink. Kitchens are 2" on the waste side before the vent and trap arm which can be 1.5". There should be a 2" cleanout on the kitchen sink.
Option 3 has 2" running to the two lavs with a double fixture fitting, 1.5" on the trap arms and vent.

Thank you Terry! I will work towards that. The kitchen is vented prior to hitting the drain. (not shown in pictures.

If I increase the kitchen to 2" can I t together with the 2" from the bathroom faucets prior to hitting the 3" drain?

Where does the 2" clean out go for the kitchen sink?

jplundma

Reaction score
One more question.

For a laundry washer, do both the drain line and vent need to be 2" or just the drain?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks