Double lavatory drain offset

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregg G

Reaction score
New construction, concrete walls with foam insulation.

Almost have the DWV rough-in complete, working to finish MB lavatories and shower. Tried to
do floorplan so that there were no water lines or drains in the outside walls. In the master bath
the two lavatories are against an outside wall though. It would be easy enough to route the drains
and water lines in the two "side walls", but this would use up a lot of space under the vanity and
require two vent lines - one for each lav/p-trap.

Terry explained a lot about the reasons for using two p-traps (one for each lav) instead of trying
to tie them together (one thing is to minimize length of pipe before trap to minimize potential for
smells). I also have seen sketches and pictures that Terry and others have shared that show the
correct way to do two lavs.

I think what I want to do is keep the layout just about how Terry recommends - use a "double fixture
sanitary tee" (not a plain double san tee, so that one drain won't flow try and flow across the tee instead
of down). I'll also run the trap arms along the "outside wall" (just have to router or hot-knife out a bit
of the foam insulation) and then run those into the "double fixture san tee". A 1-1/2" line will go up
along the outside wall for venting, and a 2" drain line will connect to the bottom of the san tee.
It turns out that there is a joist that runs very close to the outside wall, so it would be difficult to
run the 2" drain line straight down.

What will work is if I put in a 45 long elbow just below the san tee and run the drain towards the
front of the vanity for about 8", then I can put in another 45 long elbow to get the drain line pointing
down again. Any problems with this plan that you can see?

Kind regards,
Gregg G.

lav-drain.jpg

Gregg G

Reaction score
Ha, ha! That's exactly what I need to do. I didn't think of it, but the way you have the drain pipe
routed at the bottom is so that it fits inside the "toe kick" of the vanity, huh? I'll do it like that and
then won't use any additional space inside the cabinet at all.

Thanks for the picture (worth a thousand words)!

RHinNorCal

Reaction score
Any good ideas for back to back bathrooms, both with double lavs? Crawl space below... Terry's photo is so crystal clear that I want to use it - with the HJ mod. That being said, if I built the wall in between the two bathrooms out of 2x8, or doubled 2x4, would there be enough room? And can they share a single vent line?

RHinNorCal

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the back-to-back double sink challenge.

Attachments

• BacktobackSinks.JPG
    BacktobackSinks.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks