Double Check

Users who are viewing this thread

Derek Morgan Jr

Reaction score
Brand new construction home that we close on this week and need to order a softener.

8 people (6 kids that are home only 60% of the time). Not everyone showers everyday there is a schedule.

Hardness: 269 Mg/l (ppm) from a Lab. I don't believe any iron.

Was thinking 64k grain system with Fleck 5810 valve. Water line coming into home is 1" pex and not to long after it enters the home it splits to 3/4 (before water heater, etc). I was planning on coming off the 1" and then feeding through softener and then into a pelican whole home water filter to remove chlorine and then back to the main line to feed the house (probably going to bypass the external faucets as well depending on how they have it plumbed).

3.5 baths.

The softener is believe would be 13gpm and the pelican filter is either 10gpm or 15gpm depending on which one I buy (1mil vs 600k).

Also thinking 10% crosslink resin but would it be beneficial to spend the $150-$200 for SST60 resin or save my money?

15x17x36 Rect Brine Tank with salt grid and safety float assembly.

Any issues with this setup that you can see?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A Pelican carbon tank? I sent you a PM.
No need for the grid.
Don't bother with the SST60
Carbon first, then softener

Derek Morgan Jr

Reaction score
A Pelican carbon tank? I sent you a PM.
No need for the grid.
Don't bother with the SST60
Carbon first, then softener

Yes I was thinking of a pelican carbon filter or aquasana. Aquasana looks to have terrible flow at o my 7gpm.

I can probably respond to your pm tomorrow.

Do you think this system would be sized correctly for our home?

No grid, no sst60, thanks for that.

Last edited:

Derek Morgan Jr

Reaction score
I have a similar configuration, but all Fleck 581o valves for Carbon filter tank (5810STX) and softener tank (5810XTR2). Extremely happy with the solution!! Excellent water quality, simple to install and program!!

See link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_owtKNMuwKb0wyQmMycENaWEE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the link! Pretty much identical to what I want to accomplish. What did you pay for that carbon setup? That may be a better route to go than Pelican carbon depending on cost.

Looks like carbon filters should go before the softener. Seems to be a lot of debate online. Some same after softener because of backwash but others say before to also protect the softener. I can put it before but how much difference does it really make?

ditttohead

Reaction score
No real debate, it goes before the softener. I also don't recommend a non backwashing carbon tank, I have worked on these designs for over 25 years in the field... backwashing carbon tanks are worth the extra few dollars.

intel2020

Reaction score
Listen to dittohead..... Extremely knowledgeable about water treatment approaches. Carbon tank before the softener. I wanted to get the chlorine out mostly and let the resin in the tank do its' job -- and save the resin over time. I am on city water and it is pretty good, just really hard. I will PM you more detailed thoughts and my processes I used to come to the solution I ended up installing.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Thanks, FYI, carbon is highly durable but has a finite capacity. Resin has a much longer potential life expectancy especially when it is not exposed to oxidants. It is a divinylbenzene crosslinked polystyrene resin that is susceptible to damage due to chlorine exposure. Reducing the chlorine is very beneficial for resin.

intel2020

Reaction score
Yep... Good point dittohead. My expectation for my system is that I will perform a carbon media change in the carbon tank in ~4 to 5 years. Resin should last a long time as chlorine is basically removed via the carbon tank, 10 - 15 years!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks