Double Check My Math - Help Selecting Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Chopstick

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to purchase and install a water softener for my home.

- I am located in Tampa Bay area of Florida (if that matters).
- There are 3 people in the home (2 adults and a baby).
- There is a 3/4 inch PVC incoming water line.
- We are on City water.
- Using a Hach 5B, I measured about 8 drops, so I believe that is 8 grains.

If I understand it correctly: 3 people x 70 gals per day x 8 grains x 10 day reg cycle = 16800 grains

- I was originally thinking of going to a big box store and getting a 30K or 40K GE Cabinet style water softener. I read post #5 here that seems to think that this type of water softener is ok for my sort of needs: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-selecting-a-water-softener-system.88792/

If I got 10 years out of a softener like that, I would be ok with it.

-But after a lot of research and browsing on this site, it seems most people are against these cabinet style water softeners.

So I found a 32K grain, 1 cubic ft, Fleck 5600 SXT water softener with a 9" x 48" tank using 10% CL resin.

I'm not sure what other information is needed, but:

1) Given I'm on city water and low hardness, could I get away with using a Cabinet style softener and getting 7-10 years out of it?

2) Is my math correct? Could a 32K grain system meet my families needs and maintain salt efficiency?

3) Is a 10 day regen cycle too long?

Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi,

- We are on City water.

If I understand it correctly: 3 people x 70 gals per day x 8 grains x 10 day reg cycle = 16800 grains

- I was originally thinking of going to a big box store and getting a 30K or 40K GE Cabinet style water softener. I read post #5 here that seems to think that this type of water softener is ok for my sort of needs: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-selecting-a-water-softener-system.88792/

-But after a lot of research and browsing on this site, it seems most people are against these cabinet style water softeners.

So I found a 32K grain, 1 cubic ft, Fleck 5600 SXT water softener with a 9" x 48" tank using 10% CL resin.

1) Given I'm on city water and low hardness, could I get away with using a Cabinet style softener and getting 7-10 years out of it?

2) Is my math correct? Could a 32K grain system meet my families needs and maintain salt efficiency?

Thank you.
You shoudnt't do math with that 32000 number. It's just historical code (marketing speak) for 1 cubic ft of resin. Longer story available. If you want about 35000 grains or so for real, you want a 1.5 cubic ft of resin ("48000").

The 1 cuft of resin is reasonable for you, but 1.5 is probably better if the extra height is OK. 30 days is not too long with your water.

If outside, protect plastics, including PVC and the softener, from UV.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised to find any municipal water supply in the Tampa Bay area as low as 8 grains. I've lived all over the Bay area and the very best I've ever seen was 10-12. I'm now in Pasco county and my water runs about 15 grains. If it were me I would error on the side of caution and do my math based on a higher hardness.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agreed, and anything less than 30 days between regenerations is fine. Avoid the online resellers, see if you can find someone local. Most of the online resellers source the majority of their compoennts from the lowest bidder, and many use counterfeit components.

Chopstick

Reaction score
You shoudnt't do math with that 32000 number. It's just historical code (marketing speak) for 1 cubic ft of resin. Longer story available. If you want about 35000 grains or so for real, you want a 1.5 cubic ft of resin ("48000").

The 1 cuft of resin is reasonable for you, but 1.5 is probably better if the extra height is OK. 30 days is not too long with your water.

If outside, protect plastics, including PVC and the softener, from UV.

- Yes, I've read a few post about how the advertised grains is not the true number and that the efficient number is lower. So that's why I figured (if my math is correct), that my 16,800 is well below the advertised 32,000.

- I plan on installing it in my garage, so height and weather is not an issue.

- I'll go with a 48,000 unit based on recommendation.

- Do you have any experience or knowledge with cabinet style softeners?
Seems like they have a lot of positives reviews on the Home Depot site.

Chopstick

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised to find any municipal water supply in the Tampa Bay area as low as 8 grains. I've lived all over the Bay area and the very best I've ever seen was 10-12. I'm now in Pasco county and my water runs about 15 grains. If it were me I would error on the side of caution and do my math based on a higher hardness.

I live a somewhat new construction area of East Pasco.
I read the instructions and have watched a few videos on how to use the Hach 5B.

- I ran the kitchen sink cold water for 5-7 mins to clear the line
- Used the vial and took a sample all the way up to the brim of the vial
- Transferred the vial to the test jar
- Added a level scoop of the powder, which turned the test water pink
- Then I added a drop, quick swirl, added a drop, quick swirl, added a drop, quick swirl, and so on.
- At 7 drops, the water turned purple
- At 8 drops, the water turned clear blue

Is that not the correct way to do it?

I will note, that after about 15 seconds or so of sitting there, the test jar did turn back to pink. Not sure if that's normal and it's supposed to do that. I'm not sure how the chemical reaction is supposed to work.

Chopstick

Reaction score
Agreed, and anything less than 30 days between regenerations is fine. Avoid the online resellers, see if you can find someone local. Most of the online resellers source the majority of their compoennts from the lowest bidder, and many use counterfeit components.

Thank you for the confirmation.

I've read several post where it seems like most people seem to recommend regen every 7 days or so.
I don't want to damage the resin, but at the same time, I'd like to save some water and extend the regen cycles out, if possible.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
I live a somewhat new construction area of East Pasco.
I read the instructions and have watched a few videos on how to use the Hach 5B....

That seems very low. If you are on Pasco county water by their own admission...

"The water hardness within Pasco County’s potable water system typically has a range of 12 – 15 Grains per Gallon (GPG) or 205 -257 Milligrams per Liter (mg/l). Similar to many of Florida water sources, it is considered hard."

The hardness can range depending on rainfall. I've actually seen mine as high as 17 in the spring during low rainfall.

If you are getting 8 you should consider yourself lucky but I wouldn't bet the farm on it staying that low.

https://www.pascocountyfl.net/faq.aspx?TID=101

Reach4

Reaction score
Just tried it today. It took about 14 drops and it stayed blue for a long time. It did eventually turned back purple, but it took a few minutes.
swirling should accelerate that.

ditttohead

Reaction score
- Yes, I've read a few post about how the advertised grains is not the true number and that the efficient number is lower. So that's why I figured (if my math is correct), that my 16,800 is well below the advertised 32,000.

- I plan on installing it in my garage, so height and weather is not an issue.

- I'll go with a 48,000 unit based on recommendation.

- Do you have any experience or knowledge with cabinet style softeners?
Seems like they have a lot of positives reviews on the Home Depot site.
Avoid anything from Home Depot for water treatment.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Thank you for the confirmation.

I've read several post where it seems like most people seem to recommend regen every 7 days or so.
I don't want to damage the resin, but at the same time, I'd like to save some water and extend the regen cycles out, if possible.
Ignore people saying it needs to go every 7 days, anything less than 30 is fine. If you consider that virtually every exchange tank system is designed on a thirty day route...

JamesSmith0092

Reaction score
Hi,

- We are on City water.

Thank you.

Check out the most prominent explanation by water softeners blog for Best Water Softeners

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks