Don't want to lose this shrub plumbing a trench underneath PICS...

Users who are viewing this thread

Hobiecatter

Reaction score
Plumber is coming to install a PRV and loop fom this shut off valve in the flower bed to go through the brick wall located just behind that shrub and goes into the garage where the water softener will be installed.

I'm worried that the shrub will die. It is a well established shrub that is about 3 in a half feet tall and perfectly matches all of the other shrubs in the flower bed in a straight row outlining the house. If this one dies it will never look the same.

He has to completely dig it up, dig a trench underneath for the two lines to go into the brick wall and then try and replant the shrub.

It is already freezing here so that might help the plant go dormant. But he claims this digging will be the toughest part labor wise.

Is there any recommendations on digging or replanting this shrub so that it has a chance? Or is this a pretty straight forward thing that plumbers deal with? I've attached a pic to help

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 198

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Not much help but...

Isn't it possible to do some pruning and tying back? I would think that they would fill back in and look much better than any replacement if one died because you moved it. If appropriate, offer to pay extra for the additional work involved for the guy doing the work.

Wet roots are supposed to handle the cold better than dry ones and keep the exposed roots covered in mulch or dirt.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I NEVER dig the plant up if the owner is trying to save it, because the chances are very slim it will work. I let him, or his gardener, do it first, then I do the plumbing work.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Sounds like a job for a Landscaper or Gardener.

Around here they charge less per hour than a Plumber and know more about Re-Planting Shrubs than a Plumber.

Jastori

Reaction score
Definitely need to have a *good* landscaper take care of the shrub (move / replant). The plumber is very likely to kill it. It is possible to save the shrub, but it needs to be done carefully by someone who knows what they are doing. Is there any plumbing option that could avoid the need to trench through the bed?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Is there any plumbing option that could avoid the need to trench through the bed?

Bring the riser/loop up "inside" the bush and just have a longer "stub" out of the wall. If it has a shutoff valve on it, that would be more convenient also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks