Don't run out to the hardware store that fast to fix a plumbing problem.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by WorthFlorida, Apr 3, 2020.

1. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    I know this is not a sound board for this forum but it is a bit too important to ignore. This was posted this morning (4/4/2020) on Facebook by my sister-in-law. She has been a doctor for over twenty years. My brother is also a doctor. Sheena's last name is not Si, it's the first two letters only.

If you think that the governor of New York State is trying to boost his cries, here is a little proof that it is not all sensationalism. Terry Love recently mentioned in a post that his next door neighbor died two weeks ago from the virus. For those that do not know NY, Long Island is part of NYC and Nassau and Suffolk county's east of NYC is referred to as Long Island. Kings and Queens County (NYC) are not referred to as LI.

upload_2020-4-3_10-4-33.png
    Sheenna Si
    9 hrs ·

I am a doctor who works at a hospital on Long Island.
    Currently, approximately 90% of patients are infected with the Coronavirus (COVID).

The other 10% who are not COVID are soon to be transferred to the the USNS Comfort, the naval ship in NYC, so we can make room for more patients with COVID.
    If you get sick other than for COVID,
    like a heart attack or stroke, I hope there will be hospital bed to care for you.

We are nearly out of ventilators.

It will be a matter of time when we run out of medications.

There is a MAJOR shortage of doctors and nurses all across the board. The staff is already overstretched.

If more healthcare workers get sick,
    there will be no one to care for you.

There are NO visiting hours. It is very sad to see someone die alone.

We have recently received a refrigerated tractor trailer to store the bodies because our morgue is full.

Churches are not even performing funerals. So not only do your loved ones die alone but you never get to see them again.

So when we are upset about all the events that have to be cancelled,
    like weddings, sports, graduation (my daughter is a high school senior)...
    Rather it be that, than visiting the cemetery.

So please, continue to social distance. Stay home. This is a very contagious virus! There are people who are carriers who are without symptoms and can infect others.

We still have NOT reached the peak!

We can beat this!
    Better days will come.
    We just have to hang in there.
    Our lives depend on it

Stay safe,
    Sheenna

2. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    Very nice to say "STAY AT HOME" and let people die

My employees are working 7 days a week 7 - 12 hrs a day

Because of the back log of work I even went out in the field to help play catch up as my guys are exhausted and they are not complaining

Even now 3 of them are at an old age home as a 6" copper hot water line ruptured and yesterday at another home East Bronx 5 people died but we were there snaking out the main sewer as some idiot flushed a towel down a toilet

Plumbers do not have the luxury to stay home and tell nursing homes and dialysis center s "sorry we no longer make house calls"

I did stop all my new construction and alterations and am doing strictly emergency work

My fire suppression cmpany I laid off all the employees and shut down the operation until NYC allows us back into the high rise buildings that are in lock down

I can just imagine if all fire-fighters, EMTs, plumbers, elevator repair companies shut down what a dire mess NYC and other large cities would be in

How can a high rise building be safe if the elevators are out of order?

How can people survive with sewerage spewing out of the yard drains or they have no potable water due to broken pipes?

We replaced several water heaters in the past 3 weeks as life goes on

I did provide my employees with NIOSH approved masks and other safety equipment

Because of COWARDS staying home we now picked up over 80 new accounts and here I am a disabled vet 72 years old working to provide much needed services that many people take for granted

One of the nursing homes we are working in over 43 people died in two weeks

Grandbllc likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Grandbllc likes this.
  4. WorthFlorida

Retired
    I just took my daily 5 mile bike ride and it is quiet out there. The local AC company trucks are out. Saw them at one home and the owner at another.

Now that Florida is state wide "stay at home" two sites are closed down since yesterday. Right up the street, one block away, an expansion construction has started next to an assisted living facility. This week they installed some storm drain pipes, today, no one is there. Right next to it a KIDS R US building is under construction, today there are some workers. The food pantry I volunteer at has shut down, just got the word on that. Right across the street the fire damaged townhomes are being worked on. They're about 95% complete. The painter and his wife have been on it for a week. An electrician has been there all week.

As you know, those buildings in NYC can take a week or more to open and you'll get hammered by your customers. NYC will have to waiver past due inspections but FDNY won't like it if the sprinklers and fire alarm systems hasn't been tested. It will takes months for people to start working again where many companies may have closed for good. LIRR and the subways will be the same, a long time to ramp up.

Sylvan likes this.
  5. WorthFlorida

Retired
    As less water is used in office buildings and factories, the water pressure builds and pipes will burst. What a calamity we are in.

A few years ago on the Discovery Channel had a series "if all the people disappeared from the planet", what happens to the infrastructure left behind. It showed how things degraded and collapsed over time with some proof from some cities around the world that were abandoned. It was quite a good program.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  6. JohnCT

JohnCT Member

I watched a few. It was interesting to watch but I think they greatly overestimated the time some of these structures would collapse or even disappear.

John

7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It's very quiet in the Seattle area right now. Even though Washington State was in the news first, we now have 262 deaths which is less than some others. 4/3/2020

COVID-19
    CO = Corona
    VI = Virus
    D = Disease
    19 = 2019, the year it was discovered.

Our traffic map
    https://www.wsdot.com/traffic/seattle/default.aspx

Deaths from Covid 19 in US, 126,780

New York, 31,372
    New Jersey, 15,012
    Massachusetts, 7.963
    Illinois, 6,810
    Pennsylvania, 6,166
    Michigan, 6.133
    California, 5.763
    Connecticut, 4,298
    Florida, 3,366
    Louisiana, 3,172
    Maryland, 3,129
    Ohio, 2,782
    Georgia, 2,745
    Indiana, 2,586
    Texas, 2,334
    Virginia, 1,675
    Colorado, 1,669
    Arizona, 1,535
    Minnesota, 1,461
    North Carolina, 1,332
    Washington, 1,299
    Mississippi, 1,016
    Missouri, 1,006
    Rhode Island, 920
    Alabama, 896
    Wisconsin, 766
    Tennessee, 567
    Nevada, 496
    Alabama, 476
    Oklahoma, 375

United States, 126,780
    6/25/2020

I've been staying home the last two weeks. I have ordered take-out food like three times, and doing a few trips to the grocery store.
    Cars and vans barely move. The cars move a little.
    I was thinking a couple weeks ago about doing a service call in East Redmond last week, but then a friend from High School posted that they had neighbors there that had died and some sick.

Locally in the county North of me, a church had a choir practice where 61 people showed up, two died and 45 came down sick with Covid-19.
    Apparently with all the singing that close in the room, it was easy to spread. And they were being careful. In Seattle we're taking it more and more seriously.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  8. Terry

Plumber
    Hi Sylvan,
    Sounds like you and your crew are working hard. :)

9. Chucky_ott

Chucky_ott Member

I wasn't going to say anything but maybe your pro-choice statement just pushed me over the edge a bit, since it has nothing to do with the current situation.

Anyways, it's perhaps a little self-righteous of you to say that. You have no business judging what others are doing nor do you know what they are going through.

It's time for solidarity not hostility.

Chucky (your neighbour to the North, whose country is no longer getting 3M masks from the US because of...huh, never mind)

Terry likes this.
  10. JohnCT

JohnCT Member

That's the critical problem with this virus, it's R0 (transmitability) is off the charts. Its serious on its own, but the fact that it can be spread far easier than the seasonal flu is why this virus is so dangerous and why it will overwhelm any medical system.

Stay the hell at home!!!

John

11. WorthFlorida

Retired
    On TV right now, 4/3/2020, 4:20 PM eastern time, 6,600 hundred deaths in the USA. That still keeps it around 3% fatalities of those infected, low but with the number of infections, the speed of spread and how fast it can kill is the worry some part.

I just did a grocery shopping trip, about half the customers and workers are wearing mask. So was I because my wife is type 1 diabetic and I'm borderline type 2. She is deathly afraid either one of us of getting sick. Two weeks ago I was able to order N95 masks from someone we know who owns a health products supply company in West Palm Beach, FL.

12. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

''

Terry one of the nuring homes had 5 people died in one day I told the guys you do not have to go there I understand its ok I will go

They said no way and they went and have been working with no time off for 3 weeks so far

This moring at 4 AM that a hydronics 4" retun line busted over a duct and they were replacing 60 feet of 4" piping.

The building was built in 1917 with sa lot of the old piping still bing used

I told you about a 26 year old guy from Albania that came to work for me 31/2 years ago and is in America for 5 years

I decided to give him 49% of my plumbing company as not only does he work but he brought in a lot of commerical accounts and new construction

He passed all his gas qualifiacation testing and in 11/2 year he is taking his journeymens test

So many people are dying around here ad the plumbers union norammly does high rise buildings is at a stand still as there is a lock down except for emergecy work

We tried to hire new people to lighten the work load offering $75 per hr to start and people refused when they found out who the accounts are

Morons use news papers, towels, cut up T shirts in lieu of toielt paper compounding the problems

I had to get something like disposable space suits for the guys as who knows what is in the soil lines

for over 3 weeks I have not sent out one invoice as we are that busy and the girl that works in the office decided to stay home so I did put call forwarding to her cell phone so she can do the work schedule

I think it is going to get a lot worse before we see any improvement

Terry likes this.
  13. DIYorBust

DIYorBust Active Member

This is a scary situation. I think the best thing we can all do is try to stay calm, and do what we can to help. Anyone who has a plumbing problem right now can appreciate how important this job is, and I'm sure is grateful that guys like sylvan are willing to come despite the risks.

So THANK YOU.

Sylvan likes this.
  14. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

We have no choice as plumbers but to maintain the systems to help keep this undercontrol

It was like taking an oath "Plumbers protect the health of the nation" but never did I expect to have trying times like now

If you can read the history of plumbing and how plumbers worked during plagues

Although all new construction and alteraton have a stop order along with minor repairs the governor and mayor both declaired plumbers are essential services and other trades .

The powers that be realizewe have to be allowed out there to clean sewers which are a major health hazzard for the tenants and plumbers Sanitary systems must be maintained, potable water heating etc.

One of the old age homes we are working in today we saw 11 bodies removed and were told not to say anything as it may cause a panic

I am sure when family members are turned away as it is in lock down they will find out the one they came to visit is no longer there

Some DAMN FOOL was driving around 2 am Friday on a bull horn “ Bring out your dead”

Those who think a modern day plumbing system is fail safe and that water borne dieases cant happen here they are wrong

We are checking floor drans and other fixture traps that may have lost their trp seal

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spread-building-pipes.html

15. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

The reason UP north does not have masks is they are "not essential " and your prime minister is not exactly what one would call a sane man with his policy :p

Why supply masks to a known terrorist harboring nation?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...AEAoAEGqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&gs_ivs=1&sclient=psy-ab

16. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    "Using less water" does NOT "cause the pressure to rise and break pipes". That is hyperbole and scare tactics.

Sylvan likes this.
  17. Terry

Plumber
    Staying at home for the moment. The 1918 pandemic lasted 18 months. It will be a big celebration when that's over for us plumbers. Had a call for a water heater from customers in their 70's yesterday. One of their friends had dropped in to see them, and the next week the friend had died of Covid-19. My next door neighbor died two weeks ago from it. Locally a church had a choir practice where 65 people showed up. Fortyfive came down sick with Covid and two died. Yes, it will be like the 4th when this is all over with. I hope everyone is being safe out there.

[​IMG]

My friend Skippy is a comedian in the Seattle area.

[​IMG]

Getting some exercise away from people as much as I can with Pam.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  18. Terry

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Near our local shopping center. I guess people are flushing paper towels and wet wipes and jamming the pumps in the sewers.