Don't larger trapways increase the risk of nastier clogs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Niccolo

Reaction score
Random thought that just occurred to me--wouldn't the larger trapways on toilets these days make it more likely that a clog happens deeper into the plumbing? In other words, stuff that would have clogged a lesser trapway now doesn't, gets into the plumbing, and causes a clog there (where it's far more challenging to address). Or maybe waste plumbing is of a sufficient diameter that anything that makes it past even a larger trapway is very unlikely to cause a clog further down the line?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A typical toilet trapway is in the order of 2" in diameter. The largest one available I'm aware of is from Corona, which claims a 3" diameter. Do not confuse diameter's of the trapway with the diameter of the flush valve...a larger flush valve unleashes potentially more water volume quicker, which helps the flush become more reliable with less water.

The minimum diameter of a toilet drain is 3". So, if it gets out of the toilet, there is no further restriction on the way out to the sewer.

One of the bigger differences in toilet performance is not just the diameter of the toilet's trapway, but the pathway. Some have some sharp bends in them, some have smoother curves. Longer, harder 'logs' need smooth curves, and if extreme, bigger diameter pathways. Long, hard ones don't bend around corners well. For the average person, the more conventional ones work just fine, assuming the overall design of the toilet is good and it doesn't arrive defective.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I did hear from someone at WSU that said kids had flushed shoes down the Caroma toilets. That didn't turn out well.
Most modern toilets are 2" which seems to work fine. Like mentioned above, a 3" flush valve in the tank drops into the bowl, which would have the 2" trapway draining. The Caroma has a 3", but that is unusual.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks