Doing away with green sand filter, have ? on reusing tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We had a well with high iron which was treating with a neutralizer and green sand filter, which did a fine job. We recently have replaced the well and, thank God, no longer have the iron problem but still would like to treat the acidic water.

My concern is that either of the existing tanks have a considerable coating of iron that I suspect will effect the taste of the water if I were to reuse them as a
neutralizer. Does anyone share my concern, and if so any thoughts on cleaning the iron coating out of them. They are the standard 9x48 inch polyethylene.

Paul

Reach4

Reaction score
Super Iron Out is readily available. There may be something stronger, but that is often recommended for use in cleaning rust in softeners.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Citric acid, muratic acid etc, just use caution while doing it, proper safety techniques must be followed, the obvious stuff, well ventilated areas, do not cap the systems, proper PPE, waste disposal etc.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will give Super Iron Out a shot, save the heavy duty stuff as last resort.

Paul

Reach4

Reaction score
I would put muriatic acid at the strong end, but citric acid is not so heavy duty. That is used to clean coffee pots and more. And it smells better than Super Iron Out.

Note that Ditttohead has cleaned out tanks, and I have not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks