Doing a laticrete liquid membrane pan.. drain differences

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYplumber

Reaction score
hi.
I was going to do a laticrete style liquid membrane for a shower that eliminates the preslope and the PCV liner. I see the have a "bonding" drain and instuciotns here https://www.contractorsdirect.com/LATICRETE-Hydro-Ban-Drains

the thing is I already glued in a cheaper ABS flange. I don't see why I cannot do a similar thing as the above drain, except is it is a little less "low profile" but I might be able to cut some of the thread area off the screw in drain to bring it a little closer to the floor. I would put liquid membrane right on the drain flange also like above. here is the drain I have
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...kwSzRDy3PTlwaXwspfRJDhoCVCwQAvD_BwE#store=480

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You're asking for trouble using a clamping drain with a liquid waterproofing. The clamping drain has weep holes between the part that bolts on and what would normally be the liner. ANd, the threaded portion is not waterproof, water will leak around the threads, and if you don't have the clamping part waterproofed well, will get in underneath the waterproofing and tile.

You still need to make a sloped mud bed prior to installing the liquid waterproofing. Personally, I much prefer a sheet membrane. It's just too easy to end up with some runs, or pinholes, or too thin layers of the painted on membrane and, you'll find that extra layers are not recommended, either. I'm not saying it cannot work, but you have to be fairly meticulous.

If you go this route, I'd remove the existing drain and install the one designed for a topical waterproofing membrane and pick up a wet film thickness gauge and find out how to properly use it. You really want each of the two layers to be applied between the min/max that they call for. Too thick is not good, nor is too thin. It's actually tougher than you think to get the stuff applied at the required thickness.

I suggest you check out www.johnbridge.com for help in constructing your shower. THat site specializes in things tiled.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks