Does this price seem a little high for a small kitchen?

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
No offense, DYINeo, but unfortunately there is no free lunch for HOs. As a general contractor, I can tell you it is highly unlikely that you will find a very good AND very cheap tile installer or any other qualified tradesman. Here is why:

Those of us who are contractors are always looking for subs who are a little cheaper, but still good tradespeople. It is our business to find these guys and almost all of them come soliciting us for work in the first place. That's because we can give them steady work, not just one job.

So there is a market for these services and competition all around. You are competing with pros for the services of these people. Let's just say if this guy was really good and really cheap, he'd be already doing plenty of work for GCs in the area. Ask him for references from GCs.

We do understand that there are many people who can't afford certain services, but that doesn't change our cost of doing business. Many of us do a certain amount of charity pro bono work every year for the truly needy, but other than that our prices reflect our cost and not the customer's ability to pay.

As others have said, there are several hints in your story to raise doubts about this person's competence. If your state requires licensing for tile and stone installation, make sure they are licensed. And go look at installations they have done more than 3 years ago to see how they hold up.

D.Smith

Reaction score
My only concern is if he has insurance? Is it up to date? He should be able to provide you with a binder dated from his agent. If he cant, run.......

Around here a liscense/insured handy man makes 50 plus per hour. Me personally I wouldnt work at that rate but I guess each to his own.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am sorry things are so hard for you right now, I know to even say, things will get better is not so either. I lost my husband 3 years ago, so I do know how hard it is especially for you right now. I hope things work out for you, and I apologize for some comments that should had been nicer to you. Just because it is the right thing to do. I hope you will stop back and let us know how the floor is going. I would love to hear from you again. Take care and good luck to you, Cookie

Maybe, when all finished you could even post a picture.
It sounds like you got a good guy there to help you with the kitchen floor, I would go for it. Diagonal sounds nice, too.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had to think about the OP's position a bit as my original concerns had nothing to do with price but rather an apparent lack of knowledge on the installers part. No offense meant. Where I live, I can get an experienced, independent tile installer and their helper for about $30/hour. They would be unlicensed and uninsured. I would in effect be acting as my own contractor, and if I wished to ensure that I was getting a quality job and that no corners are cut, then I have to have working knowledge of tile installation even if I lack the necessary skills and tools. DIY contractor can be a tough job.

The inherent risks in hiring unlicensed and uninsured workers should be obvious. If not, those questions can be asked here as well.

I would encourage DIYNeophyte to learn as much as possible about tile installation if she is going to hire out the work herself to an independent. Prior to initiating the work, she should go over the steps involved and if there are any apparent deviations in materials or technique, she should engage the advice of those with experience prior to proceeding. It will be necessary for her to oversee the work as it progresses. That way she can ensure that in addition to best price she is also having the job done right.

A book from the local library might be a good place to start. You can pick up the "lingo", which goes a long way towards helping someone out, and learn the basic steps involved. A forum like this can then serve you quite well.

You may have a lot to learn. Are you ready to get started?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks