Does this plan look Okay? Any help appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

argoskier

Reaction score
Hello everybody, new poster, and new DIY plumber here. I am building a house, and have gotten to the part where I need to put in some pipes! It is a small house with only 1 bathroom, a kitchen sink, and a sink/washer in basement. If it was any more, I probably would not be attempting this, but I think I can deal with the scope of this project.

I've already gone through a bunch of iterations that I have found won't work for one reason or another (this is tricky stuff!), and have now landed on a new plan. Assuming you can make sense of my plan, I'm wondering what mistakes or possible considerations the knowledgeable people of this forum could point out.

I think the plan is pretty well labeled, but it doesn't include every fitting yet. For reference, where the pipes on the 1st floor drop into the basement, I have about 20 feet or so to go to reach my 4 inch septic pipe out. Also, the white circles in the middle represent sanitary tee's which correspond to the picture of the bathroom on the bottom of image. I hope that make sense. Oh, and lastly, the floor joists run in same direction as pipes that are in floor.

Screenshot (22).png
Screenshot (23).png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like it should work. Seems like a lot of extra pipe and the execution might be more difficult in person than it seems drawn out.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lets simplify this a little bit. Not sure if your toilet was a wall mount or floor mount, but essentially the same. Wet vent the sink off the toilet vertical vent. Run your 3" vent whichever is easier via the tub or behind the toilet... or a combination of two 2" and one 1.5"

1679600532974.png

argoskier

Reaction score
Oh man, thanks Tuttles Revenge! That seems way better. I updated my plan. I'm now just wondering about those two connections I have labeled as San T (2x2x3 and 3x3x2) Haha, I don't think they make that sorta thing... Would I just use a reducer or something for that?

Attachments

• Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    85.6 KB · Views: 55

argoskier

Reaction score
OK, I think the fitting I would use for lav/toilet would be a 3x3x2 - 90 deg elbow with 2" low heel inlet as the vent.

For the shower side I would maybe use this 3x3x2 san t reducing fitting.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thing about the venting 3" is that the area of your vent through the roof needs to match the required building drain size. That can be achieved by connecting 3" contiguously through the building. But some times due to structural conditions you can't take 3" up.. so you then need to combine vents to equal that same square inches. But Two 2" vents don't equal a 3" vent.. you need an additional 1.5" vent to make that up. So increasing the shower vent to 3" doesn't make that a 3" cross sectional.. it only counts as 2". But keeping the 3" toilet a 3" vent would qualify.

argoskier

Reaction score
The thing about the venting 3" is that the area of your vent through the roof needs to match the required building drain size. That can be achieved by connecting 3" contiguously through the building. But some times due to structural conditions you can't take 3" up.. so you then need to combine vents to equal that same square inches. But Two 2" vents don't equal a 3" vent.. you need an additional 1.5" vent to make that up. So increasing the shower vent to 3" doesn't make that a 3" cross sectional.. it only counts as 2". But keeping the 3" toilet a 3" vent would qualify.
Oh, Ok. So it sounds like I would be better to just keep the toilet vent 3" all the way up, and the shower can be 2" until it connects to the 3" main toilet vent.

I'm also wondering, because I have a septic tank, the drain out is 4", so I'm not sure how that would effect things...

EDIT: I'm sorry, these messages are coming at long (5-8 hour) delays after I send them as every message is needing to be approved by moderator.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Darn it I wrote responce yesterday to do just what tuttles did. forgot to "post reply" its also possible but I cant tell that it can all be done off a single stack depending on joist layout one 3 inch stack all the way up a 3 inch santee for w/c 3x3x 1 1/2 santee or street santee for the tub and a 3x3x 1 1/2 santee for the lav and none of the wyes santees or 90s for reventing and all that jazz.
Again assuming structure allows

argoskier

Reaction score
Your minimum required drain is 3", so 3" out the roof is the minimum.
I see, thank you.

I'm just left still trying to understand the venting. My current plan is to vent the toilet/lav at 2" and connect that to the 3" vent running straight up from the shower and right out the roof.

Alternatively, it would be no problem for me to run the toilet/lav vent at 3" and connect a 2" vent from the shower and then continue 3" vent through the roof.

If I really had to, I wouldn't even mind just running both the toilet/lav and shower vents at 3", and then combing them and running the 3" thru the roof.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personaly if I were to build it like post number 3 tuttles shows in yellow I would run stack straight up 3 inch and the vent off the top of toilet revent in 2 inch to the stack rather than exactly as drawn a slight modification. Of course the structure dictates certain things and having a 3 inch vent in shower valve bay often is not prefered but whatever fits is easy and meets code at low cost that performs well are all factors. Having a straight shot on a vent is good if in the rare vent you need to snake .
We arent clear that this is the only plumbing in the home thus requiring a 3 inch vent only that you have drawn a 3 inch vent out roof? some where a kitchen , laundry (presumeably exist), and possibly other bathrooms exist and are vented some how so you might only need a 1 1/2 " vent out the roof for this section.

argoskier

Reaction score
Personaly if I were to build it like post number 3 tuttles shows in yellow I would run stack straight up 3 inch and the vent off the top of toilet revent in 2 inch to the stack rather than exactly as drawn a slight modification. Of course the structure dictates certain things and having a 3 inch vent in shower valve bay often is not prefered but whatever fits is easy and meets code at low cost that performs well are all factors. Having a straight shot on a vent is good if in the rare vent you need to snake .
We arent clear that this is the only plumbing in the home thus requiring a 3 inch vent only that you have drawn a 3 inch vent out roof? some where a kitchen , laundry (presumeably exist), and possibly other bathrooms exist and are vented some how so you might only need a 1 1/2 " vent out the roof for this section.
Thanks for the reply Jeff.

There is other plumbing in the house: A kitchen sink, and a washing machine/utility sink. No other bathrooms.

The shower valve bay will be on other side of room then the drain for shower.

I redesigned it so 3" main vent runs straight up and toilet vents from 2 inch. Is this correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    114.9 KB · Views: 58

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That bathroom can be a single horizontal wet vented system too. Up and over to the toilet, branch off the horizontal for the shower, then another branch to the sink and up through the roof with the vent. Done. About 10 fittings in the bathroom.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Tuttles said in post 13 and I did in post 8 single pipe wet venting .
Argoskier you last drawing aint bad either Its better than befor , though I think takes a back seat to a single verticle pipe

argoskier

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm struggling a bit to visualize what you are both saying.

Can I just do this?

EDIT: I guess that photo is a little off, because the vent isn't in the right place and it would have to make a bend around window..

Attachments

• Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    104.1 KB · Views: 52

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh wow my apology I misread your drawing my ideas wont work I was thinking the fixtures were on the outside wall

argoskier

Reaction score
Oh wow my apology I misread your drawing my ideas wont work I was thinking the fixtures were on the outside wall
I thought that might happen, because I don't think my plans are super straight forward looking. The fixtures are on the inside wall, but all the drains shown are on the outside wall.

argoskier

Reaction score
That bathroom can be a single horizontal wet vented system too. Up and over to the toilet, branch off the horizontal for the shower, then another branch to the sink and up through the roof with the vent. Done. About 10 fittings in the bathroom.
My original plan was horizontal, but that runs perpendicular to the joists. I also ran into problems with the size of the internal walls and the 3" vents..

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The thing about the venting 3" is that the area of your vent through the roof needs to match the required building drain size.
That's true for the UPC, but Vermont uses the IPC, so unless I missed some additional information, that wouldn't apply to the OP.

IPC just requires the vent to be at least half the size of the drain, and large enough for the DFUs. So if the building drain is 3", it would allow 1-1/2" vents. Of course, Vermont is a cold climate, so from the building thermal envelope up through the roof should be 3".

[I didn't review the rest of this thread.]

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks