Does this old black pipe fitting need to be replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

RCbuilds

Reaction score
The 50-year old black pipe reducing tee for my natural gas WH has a slight casting defect in it (right side of the 1" thread, looks a little "chipped"). Obviously this has been in constant use since 1970 with no issues, however, I will be having the WH replaced and the street elbow threaded into it will be removed in the process.

Do you think this casting error could cause issues down the line once a new threaded pipe is inserted? Should I have the entire reducing tee replaced? This is in the middle of the gas run in my basement, so it would be quite extensive to replace this fitting.

IMG_1077.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should be fine. The first threads are not for sealing. When it gets taken apart it needs to be inspected to make sure there's no further damage that isn't visible right now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks