Does this layout work best?

Users who are viewing this thread

mnzpasquale

Reaction score
Would like some opinions on layout...does that wet vent seem good for wc ?... There is nothing else on that 2" vent line, it goes straight up and out roof.

Attachments

• bathlayoutd.jpg
    bathlayoutd.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 637

bengal21

Reaction score
Would it be acceptable under UPC to have a washing machine in the location of the sink as long as the drain line is 2"? Isn't the drain line for the sink considered a "wet vent" for the toilet and aren't horizontal wet vents not allowed unless they're 6" above the fixture it's serving?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A wet vent needs to be bigger then the existing drain line for it to work. Since the washer is a required 2", then no, you could not wet vent the toilet with the washer 2".

Wet venting is limited to vertical drainage piping receiving the discharge from the trap arm of one (1) and two (2) fixture unit fixtures that also serves as a vent not exceeding four (4) fixtures.

Each wet vented section shall not be less then on (1) pipe size exceeding the required minimum waste pipe size of the upper fixture or shall be one (1) pipe size for the sum of the fixture units served by such wet vented section, whichever is larger, bu in no case less then two (2) inches.

Horizontal wet venting is allowed for "bathroom" sets.
No mention of a washing machine being allowed.

Last edited:

bengal21

Reaction score
A wet vent needs to be bigger then the existing drainline for it to work. Since the washer is a required 2", then no, you could not wet vent the toilet with the washer 2".

So if the drain line were 3" it would be acceptable? Would you run 3" up to where the trap arm of the washing machine connects and use a tee with 2" reducers for the vent and trap arm?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In Washington State, you can't wet vent the washer over a bathroom set.

We're talking maybe $15 worth of pipe and fittings you're trying to save.

If it's my house, and knowing what I know about washer drains, I wouldn't even consider putting the washer down a wet vent section.

Last edited:

bengal21

Reaction score
In Washington State, you can't wet vent the washer over a bathroom set.

We're talking maybe $15 worth of pipe and fittings you're trying to save.

If it's my house, and knowing what I know about washer drains, I wouldn't even consider putting the washer down a wet vent section.

So, pretending the sink is the place where a washing machine is being installed, How would you install the drain piping while also trying to vent the toilet? Two seperate lines until they meet a perpindicular lateral (not shown in drawing above) each vented on their own?

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You are only allowed to wet vent bath groups. Bath groups are defined as lav, toilet and shower or tub. Washing machines may not be wet vented under any circumstance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer drain should come up seperate, as should the vent for the toilet. The revent can be at 42" above the floor.
The washer waste would have to be downstream of the vent for the toilet.

Suds control is one more thing to consider. Having the washer waste downstream helps with suds control.
Have you ever seen soap suds come out from under a toilet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks