Does this flange setup look right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dleonard1122

Reaction score
I am replacing the toilet in my downstairs bathroom and came across this toilet flange setup when I took the original toilet off. It looks like there's a rubber gasket of sorts sandwiched between the original toilet and a red metal flange adapter. I assume this is because the original flange was secured to the subfloor and this bathroom has two layers of floor ontop of it. I took what appeared to be a single wax ring with a horn off.

The red metal flange sits level with or proud of the top layer of flooring. There's silicone around the outside of the red metal flange.

Am I good to just put a new wax ring with horn into this setup, or is this shoddy work that has a better fix?

red-ring-repair-wax.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The silicone was a little overkill. The wax ring, as it was compressed, would have filled in those gaps. It hasn't caused any problems, no leaks, etc. I'd leave it alone.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks good to me! I never re use the bolts fumbling around with all that "crappy " new bolts nuts and washers except in a pinch

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That was a repair ring to hold the closet bolts securely. We always secure the closet bolts with a nut and washer. You don't want them moving. The only sets we buy come with four nuts and washers.
The wax seals against the black ABS flange there. The red ring is just to hold the closet bolts firmly.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited:

Dleonard1122

Reaction score
Much appreciated everyone. I got my Toto Drake CST776 installed yesterday and it was the easiest part of the bathroom remodel thus far. So much easier than installing the vanity faucets...;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks