Does this country shower need a p trap or vent

Users who are viewing this thread

klnorth

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a new shower in a mobile home in the country I am not under any codes. The so called remodel Guy who installed shower unit could not get to the original Plumbing so he just connected the drain further down to where the all the gray water from the home goes out into a field. He did not put a trap on the shower. This gray water line has some venting on it from the washing machine and a lavatory. Do I need to vent this shower unit also. He did run a line up through the floor to where the lavatory is going to be set and was going to use it for new lavatory Plumbing but there's nothing wrong with the existing plumbing that's there for the lavatory. can I just cap this line off coming up through the floor next to the existing lavatory plumbing is? I could possibly use this line up as a vent for the shower if needed. There really is no room below the new shower to put a trap in because the trailer sits so low to the ground there. I didn't know he was doing this until it was too late. And no I'm not having him come out and do any more work here I'm going to finish it off myself

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the drain line is connected to any septic drain, such as a toilet, yes a trap is needed for safety. You do not want any sewer gas to enter any home. If the drain is connected to a holding tank or septic tank before going to a drainage field, yes traps are needed. The definition of gray water is without a septic connection, only water used for washing. You are under codes by your state building code guidelines and are enforced by the local jurisdictions. Codes are for safety and well being no mater where you are.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hmm, I believe you are right Florida. Looks like Texas has a statewide code.

I guess I am glad I am in Kansas. Apparently our state leaves it up to the counties.

So in Kansas you have the option of going third world with your plumbing. Makes sense.
In most parts of the United States you can drink water right out of the taps.
In third world countries you buy bottled water and drinking out of a faucet in your home lands you in the hospital.

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
That's a good point, Terry. While I do like the freedom, sometimes I wish there had been some sort of code in place years ago.

With the place I am building, I have spent alot of time researching electrical and plumbing codes so I could build a safe home where everything works correctly.

The drawback of all that research, is that I keep finding things done not to code in many already built structures. Apparently, s-traps are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and romex is waterproof and indestructible. The things you find in old farmhouses and barns is interesting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The drawback of all that research, is that I keep finding things done not to code in many already built structures. Apparently, s-traps are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and romex is waterproof and indestructible. The things you find in old farmhouses and barns is interesting.

One of my reasons for having the forum, and there have been times when I was wondering why I cared so much about it since it takes so much of my time, was that I saw too many mistakes in the field. When I travel to other countries, it's really tough to see what they are doing. I've asked in some places what they have in place to make sure things are done right, and really they have nothing that helps direct how things should be done. They do have Internet many places, so instructions with pictures online can help them, but there are no books and no library s for them. What we take for granted, they don't have.

klnorth

Reaction score
If the drain line is connected to any septic drain, such as a toilet, yes a trap is needed for safety. You do not want any sewer gas to enter any home. If the drain is connected to a holding tank or septic tank before going to a drainage field, yes traps are needed. The definition of gray water is without a septic connection, only water used for washing. You are under codes by your state building code guidelines and are enforced by the local jurisdictions. Codes are for safety and well being no mater where you are.
The pipe is not connected to any holding tank. It I just runs down hill to open grass from solid 2" pipe for about 40 ' into 4"corrugated perforated for another 40' it's just from washing machine 1 bath lavatory,1 kitchen sink , dishwasher , 1 shower. I know it's not code but we are on 70 acres. I have my black water only going into a separate small septic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks