Does this configuration work for a laundry sink and washer box

Users who are viewing this thread

logan

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a bit of a newbie to this so forgive me if this has already been asked. I've researched what the proper venting for a laundry sink and washer box should look like (including Terry's picture) and I think that I have it right. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to take a look at my pictures and let me know if it's correct or what I would need to change.

Forgot to mention the pipe at the top is the vent pipe (venting out to the roof) and I've placed the P trap for the washing machine 7 inches below the P trap for the laundry sink.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.
Thanks
Fernando

Attachments

• 100_8765.jpg
    100_8765.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,081
  • 100_8766.jpg
    100_8766.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3,463
Last edited:

logan

Reaction score
To be honest, I hadn't though that far ahead. Since I am going to insulate the wall with spray foam and then Roxul, I thought that might be enough to keep them from flopping around. Additionally, I could put in some extra bracing in the bottom of the cabinet to secure them further.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I would go out of my way to space the framing 1/2" or more from the block wall if I were spraying foam on the wall. Then you get a thermal break behind each stud.

I would also be using a drop ear elbow for each of those stub outs.

Insulation isn't meant to support your plumbing...

Last edited:

logan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually pulled the framing off all the walls a little over an 1 inch since the spray foam will be applied at a 2 inch thickness for the thermal break. I wanted to make sure that the spray foam guys could hit each inch of the wall behind the framing. Does the venting look ok?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The waste line should be 2".
The p-trap in the wall should be a solvent weld p-trap, not a swivel.
The vents can be 1.5", and the trap arm for the sink. The washer p-trap should be 2"

For the others, PEX is normally run with very few fittings. PEX bends, and sometimes you can install with just the ends, and no fittings in between.

Plumbers don't like shark bites as an every fitting replacement. If you're running copper and PEX, use those fittings, either the proper brand of fitting for the PEX, or for copper fittings that are soldered.
A shark bite can be used in a pinch, but shouldn't be considered for general use.

logan

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Unfortunately I'm tying into an existing 1 1/2" line so upgrading to a 2" line would mean cutting into the stack to run a new 2" line. If I leave an access opening for the washer P trap would that be good enough in case there was an issue in the future or should I just cut the pipe and do it over with a solvent weld P trap?

I was worried about the pex kinking in the wall after it was covered so I opted for the elbows. I was trying to stay away from sweating a copper to pex adapter but it looks like that's what I should do.

Otherwise is the venting ok for both fixtures?

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I would go through the trouble to tie 2" into the stack, the 2" washer standpipe/trap is a really good idea.

Christoff

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a bit of a newbie to this so forgive me if this has already been asked. I've researched what the proper venting for a laundry sink and washer box should look like (including Terry's picture) and I think that I have it right. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to take a look at my pictures and let me know if it's correct or what I would need to change.

Forgot to mention the pipe at the top is the vent pipe (venting out to the roof) and I've placed the P trap for the washing machine 7 inches below the P trap for the laundry sink.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help.
Thanks
Fernando

are you allowed to use a san tee on it's back ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A code is a "minimum" standard, which means it SHOULD work, but NOT always the best option. The drain should be 2" and it wll NEVER be easier or cheaper to do it than NOW. You actually did it backwards. The normal way would be to use a 2" drain and 1 1/2" vents, not 1 1/2" drain and 2" venting.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks