Does Rinnai worth the premium?

Users who are viewing this thread

James Pak

Reaction score
Located in Los Angeles, looking to install a tankless for a new house, installation is included by the builder, just need to buy a tankless heater. Looking for one that has a build in circulation pump as there is a dedicated loop already

Rinnai cost 50% more than rheem and tagaki, is it worth the premium? Or which would you recommend?

Thanks

Justin Kansteiner

In the Trades
Reaction score
It depends what you place value on I suppose. in the Denver area at least, it seems that Rinnnai is more popular with the local plumbing wholesalers and repair parts are much more readily available than with other brands. When we are servicing a Rinnai we seem to always be able to get a part from a local supplier the same day when needed. With other brands it seems like we are always having to order and wait several days to get parts. which is frustrating for us and the homeowner. My techs tell me that Rinnai tech support is better to deal with. and the new sensei models Rinnai came out with this year look like they will be much easier to work on then other tankless units. which my techs where also very excited about. I can't say anything bad about any of the brands per say but we've had good fortune with the Rinnai units we've installed and I've had no major issues with my personal Rinnai unit that has been installed in my house for 8+ years now. My unit is also connect to a Rinnai air handler (they don't make them anymore) and it also heats my house when it's too cold for the heat pump. No issues with that either.
in the end this is just a water heater and not a status symbol. no one ought to care much about what brand of water heater you have in your house. I would choose the brand that is most popular your local plumbing wholesalers and plumbing service companies.

WorldPeace

Reaction score
The Installater is More Important Than the Brand. It's extremely important to vet the plumber to see if has installed enough equipment. Just a few installs a year isn't sufficient as they will definitely screw up somewhere. Even experienced plumbers screw up because they are pressed for time and don't care enough to properly install the equipment. I see it all the time. You need to assume that most plumbers are unmotivated individuals. The key is to find the few who are motivated to do the job properly.

Brand is Still Important. Even though finding the correct installer is the most important, to say that the brand isn't important either would be incorrect. A new line will probably have glitches that might need sorting out for a year or more. Certain brands are much more reliable than others. And, you need to be very careful about how the warranty is written and if they actually honor a legitimate warranty claim.

Monguila

Reaction score
Located in Los Angeles, looking to install a tankless for a new house, installation is included by the builder, just need to buy a tankless heater. Looking for one that has a build in circulation pump as there is a dedicated loop already

Rinnai cost 50% more than rheem and tagaki, is it worth the premium? Or which would you recommend?

Thanks

I live in San Diego County and just installed a Navien unit, NPE210A. So far, I am very happy with it. I do agree with previous posts in that you need to ensure the installer has experience with the unit you choose.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The Installater is More Important Than the Brand. It's extremely important to vet the plumber to see if has installed enough equipment. Just a few installs a year isn't sufficient as they will definitely screw up somewhere. Even experienced plumbers screw up because they are pressed for time and don't care enough to properly install the equipment. I see it all the time. You need to assume that most plumbers are unmotivated individuals. The key is to find the few who are motivated to do the job properly.

Brand is Still Important. Even though finding the correct installer is the most important, to say that the brand isn't important either would be incorrect. A new line will probably have glitches that might need sorting out for a year or more. Certain brands are much more reliable than others. And, you need to be very careful about how the warranty is written and if they actually honor a legitimate warranty claim.
1+ contractor is more important than the brand

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks