Does Pro active replacement make sense for replacing a working gas WH

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered and received my new Rheem 50 gallon energy efficient heater, going to install it tomorrow. My current Lochinvar going on 20 years, in a hard water area,is still working though.

My thinking is , since of the age and if it fails, I can be waiting up to three weeks for a replacement. Just trying to avoid that potential scenario,any thoughts on that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two factors play into this
- when it fails, will it damage anything, and
- how willing are you to wait for a replacement when it does

At 20-years, you’re nearly three times beyond typical lifetime, so it doesn’t owe you anything.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Twenty years? You've gotten your moneys worth. I don't see too many make it past 15 years. I like to change them out on my schedule, and not come home from a weekend with a mess to deal with.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Water heater, big box orange . They don't stock much anymore, so I ordered it online, two & 1/2 weeks later get a call, your water heater has arrived but it arrived damaged, do you want to cancel the order? So re-ordered, said it would be here the 28th, but came earlier.

Nothing else nearby, next time I'll try to find a plumbing supply, would they sell to a civilian? I'm guessing that's where you go?

on wards and upwards

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Here is something you want to do proactively....any CPVC pipe around the top of the water heater, replace it prior to putting the new heater in.

This type pipe gets brittle with age and worse with the heat of the flue nearby. I had to angle one supply over slightly away from the flue, so I added a new right angle and supply connector off the old stub out, I started with at cpvc cutter, it felt like it was cracking, so I stopped and cut further back with a hacksaw.

All hooked up and leaking before the right angle, pipe must have spit further down

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks