Does porcelain wear out and stain more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me, does the porcelain or it's finish coating wear out over time and become more porous, thus staining more?

It seems to me my 17 year old Ultramax is much harder to keep clean than when it was new, and the "Works" toilet bowl cleaner left a blue ring that seems permanent.

Is there a cleaner that is best, and does not add to the staining with a blue ring? !!!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The surface of most porcelain glaze tends to attract mineral precipitates from waste and water minerals.
The special premium china glazes from different mfrs (Toto's CEFIONTECT® for example) help, but my experience has been that over time, they all can age poorly under the right circumstances.
I've read info sites recommending various methods for cleaning incl. vinegar to break down minerals.
Muriatic acid can work on hard mineral build up, but is extremely dangerous and hazardous on many levels. I do not recommend for non-professionals.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some chemicals used on toilets and even some water supplies can cause etching of the finish. The glaze is what can get rough. In a really egregious situation, you might wear away or remove the glaze and get to the underlying porcelain, but that would be really rare unless you use an abrasive cleaner.

If you were to rub your finger over an area where it is staining, you'd probably find that it is not smooth anymore. That can allow stuff to cling on the surface.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO recommends Dawn detergent.
It's what I've been using on mine.

dawn-soap.jpg

Onokai

Reaction score
As a working potter for 47 years working with porcelain I know something about glazes and ceramics.
Toilets like all glazed ceramics can over time get mineral build ups. You need to remove them and carefully. Meaning you do not want to etch or rough them up. Use the mildest cleaners 1st. I have 3 Toto's and Dawn is the right stuff.
If you have minerals in your water you will need to dissolve that buildup without hurting the finish. You can do a test on a small area 1st. In the old days I used lime away in my older toilets but not so with the newer Toto's . Figure out what's in you water and treat that.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
This is great information guys!

I don't think I would ever think of Dawn if you guys hadn't said that!

It's only been about 3-4 years I've been softening and filtering the house water, I think it helps some.

The Ultramax I have here is like 15-18 years old, getting an Ultramax II in the near future!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The glaze is essentially glass. Take a look at a glass that has been washed in your DW for years...with some cleaners, they can become cloudy after a long time. But, mineral deposits, especially around where the water line is, is probably the biggest place where you'll see mineral deposits because that's where the evaporation occurs. It will happen in the openings under the rim, and eventually, those could literally become clogged, decreasing the ability to clean the side of the bowl during a flush.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
the cleaning agents that our office cleaners use and leave in the toilet/urinal/sinks all weekend definately have etched the porcelain.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Well folks, today was the day! I shut off the water, drained the toilet bowl, and opened up the case on FULL. I used a green scrubbing pad, Dawn, and then tried soft scrub. That bowl is good and stained! It feels pretty smooth, but it seems likely that like the only way to un-stain it is to throw it out!

Reach4

Reaction score
Well folks, today was the day! I shut off the water, drained the toilet bowl, and opened up the case on FULL. I used a green scrubbing pad, Dawn, and then tried soft scrub. That bowl is good and stained! It feels pretty smooth, but it seems likely that like the only way to un-stain it is to throw it out!
Try pumice stone.

Pumie is the most available brand, can be good at taking off such rings.

pumie-scouring-stick.jpg

Well water or city? Septic or sewer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Onokai

Reaction score
This is the stuff that will restore it. Use gloves and a dry bowl. Its called Lime Away-follow instructions. Repeat the treatment a few times. than flush it with water. This stuff gets all the crud off. Its pretty sticky as well. Ventilation is needed. Its my last resort but will always work

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Will try both. Was surprised how smooth it felt, I thought it was going to feel rough.

I have to admit, it's a little cleaner now, but still far from good.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Reach 4 thank you! The pumice stone worked 100% for the brown water line ring. It's gone! Wow!

Tried the lime-a-way -- I think it helped some but the bowl still isn't 100% clean.

But it's a lot better.

Thank you everyone -- for now if and until I decide to get an Ultramax II -- I'll keep trying!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks