Does my rough plumbing valves and fixtures have to be the same brand?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Brena, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. Brena

    Brena New Member

    Mar 22, 2007
    I am building a house and the plumbers used all Kohler brand for the rough. I have been told that means I have to purchase Kohler brand toilets, sinks and faucets. Is this true? I have replaced faucets before on my existing home and I am pretty sure the valves that were installed when it was build is NOT the same brand as the faucets I picked up at Home Depot.

    I want to purchase Fontaine fixtures, not Kohler. What do I do??

    Help! I need to order my fixtures by tomorrow!!!
  2. Mike Swearingen

    Mike Swearingen New Member

    Jan 12, 2005
    Independent Real Estate Broker
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
    I'm not a pro plumber, but my answer is "no". You should be able to come off of any brand of valve to whatever you want to install.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. shacko

    shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

    Jan 22, 2006
    Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
    Rosedale, Md
    Same brand

    The answer is no! get rid of the person that told you that, somebody is trying to scrxw you!
  5. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    If you have Kohler rough-in valves for the showers and tubs, then yes, they will need Kohler trims.

    Lavs and sinks don't have to match though.
  6. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    the only thing that has to "match" is that you must have all the right parts to any single faucet. Other than that, every fixture can be from a different manufacturer and every faucet can also be a mismatch. I would not have chosen Kohler for my first faucet choice, since they are overpriced, and average quality.
  7. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    The confusion comes mainly in shower/tub areas - here many, if not most, companies sell the trim separately from the valves. Now, you can buy them packaged together, and that is the way many big box home stores sell them, but at a 'real' plumbing store, the trim and rough-in valves are usually sold separately.

    So, if there are valves already in the wall in the tub, then yes, it is likely that the only trim pieces that will fit are from the same brand. Note, this has nothing to do with the shutoff valves that feed the separate valves at the sink or toilet.
  8. geniescience

    geniescience Homeowner

    Nov 27, 2005
    humid summers hot, humid winters cold
    tub hole for overflow in Kohler tubs

    i have heard that Kohler tubs have a pre-drilled hole wider than most. This makes it difficult to put some other company's overflows on them.

Similar Threads: Does rough
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice How does this shower roughout look? Aug 28, 2012
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Basement rough in - does this look OK? Jul 18, 2011
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Does the rough-in still work? Jan 6, 2009
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Plumbing Proposal -- what does rough in cover? Jun 6, 2008
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice What does rough-in sink mean? Apr 10, 2008

Share This Page