Does My Riser Diagram Meet Code?

Users who are viewing this thread

bens397

Reaction score
Hello,
I have attached a riser diagram, and I was hoping to have a master plumber or inspector review my diagram and see if it meets current code. I live in Virginia. I plan to do the work myself, but I want a safe system.

This is my first attempt at a riser diagram, so I do not know what the symbols of a riser diagram represent. I tried to annotate it to convey my idea. I am referencing the 2012 Virginia Residential Code, and venting is the biggest point of confusion.

Thanks

Attachments

• Plumbing Riser.pdf
    7 KB · Views: 752

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The vents on either side of the upstairs shower are useless, and neither one vents the shower. The downstairs toilet and shower are NOT vented, and the way you show the lavatory, the "P" trap would have to be under the floor. In other words, you have to do almost a complete revision of the drawing.

bens397

Reaction score
Thanks hj and Smooky for your time and advice!
I revised my drawing, and added a few vents, if you would not mind reviewing them.

Questions that I have are:
1) 2nd floor, can I vent the lavatory and water closet on the same 2" vent?
2) 2nd floor, does the 2" vent on top of the 3" vertical stack vent the shower?
3) 1st floor, can the shower tie into the main drain line behind the vertical stack?

Attachments

• Plumbing Riser rev2.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 524

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Section 909.1 does not allow you to wet vent fixtures on the first floor with waste water from the second floor so the toilet on the first floor is not properly vented. The vent that is just past where that toilet enters the main drain is useless in that location. See if there is a way to tie it into the toilet line before it enters the main drain. Terry’s method of using a long heel 90 works great for that:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/venting-toilet-with-wye-before-first-long-turn-90-legal.66160/#post-491617
The vent on top of the 8 ft vertical section is useless in that location, so it is not venting the shower. I think it is ok to wet vent the shower in the horizontal drain since you only have fixtures from the same floor and only one bath group, as long as the drains are sized correctly. I try to avoid that but it may be legal.

bens397

Reaction score
Thanks again for taking the time to review my drawings. I revised my diagram again, and added a few vents.

I think I need to vent the vertical 3" stack, based on the my interpretation of the code (below), but I might be confused as to what a "waste stack" is.

http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/VA/2012_VA_Residential_HTML/Chapter 31.html

"P3109.3 Stack vent.
A stack vent shall be installed for the waste stack. The size of the stack vent shall be not less than the size of the waste stack."

Attachments

• Plumbing Riser rev3.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 529

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's better. It is a simple drawing and actually putting it all together is not going to be that simple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks