Does my pipe have leprosy?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Having cut the top off of my old 4" cast iron bell & spigot pipe leading down to the sewer, I finally got a good view down there... only to find that the sides of the 100? year old pipe has got large 1" bubbly deposits on the sides all the way down.

I'm not sure if this is 100-year-old petrified poo or what, but I am wondering if I should replace the 4' length of pipe that sits above the floor level (it goes into a heavy duty wye w/ cleanout before passing through the slab) because of either:

A) these deposits would impede flow in the vertical pipe or
B) the section of pipe is actually a bit loose and has some play in it as I can move it slightly from side to side.

If I replace the pipe, I would seek to use a rubber donut to put in the bell/hub of the wye fitting, as lead and oakum are beyond what I'm willing to try!

Thanks.

Joe Six Pack

Reaction score
I had a house with lead, and I took a screwdriver and tamped with a hammer on it in the center of the lead, it seemed to work at making the joint tight.
I don't like joints, I'm a beer man.
Have you even tried the new joints? Waht in heck did they do to em? You can' even do one anymore without staring at the ceiling.
You know how much trouble I'd be in if that's all I did? That reminds me, one time I had theis house with black iron pipe, and this joint was loose, I could wiggle it, but htat disn't seem righty. So I looked in my tools for seomthing to make the joint lead tightyer. What's good for that?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks