Does it make sense to do a whole floor in fiberglass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Effzee

Reaction score
Hi all. My wife and I just purchased a single story home on a foundation with a full basement. We want to rebuild the bathroom (10'x10') so it's basically a large shower stall with a toilet and a sink. Is it completely ridiculous to think that we could fiberglass (I don't like the idea of tile) the entire floor and use plastic panels on the walls? I've looked online to see if I could find examples but have been unsuccessful which makes me think it's not a good idea. Help me Terry Love's Forum, you're my only hope.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The fiberglass panels I am familiar with are not made for foot traffic, and do crack/splinter when subjected to impact. I do not see how it would be of any benefit compared to any other production flooring material. There are a lot of options now with sheet goods, planks, and squares.

If you are talking about making the entire bath a wet room, the problem is always the changes of plane, and traversing between different materials. I really prefer epoxy terrazo in that environment.

Effzee

Reaction score
The fiberglass panels I am familiar with are not made for foot traffic, and do crack/splinter when subjected to impact. I do not see how it would be of any benefit compared to any other production flooring material. There are a lot of options now with sheet goods, planks, and squares.

If you are talking about making the entire bath a wet room, the problem is always the changes of plane, and traversing between different materials. I really prefer epoxy terrazo in that environment.
Thanks for the reply Cacher. I loved the look of some the terrazo designs I saw online. I was thinking about have a monolithic fiberglass build on the floor instead of panels. It really would be a pain if it cracked though so I'll probably scrap that idea. I was also thinking about using epoxy on 1/4" marine teak plywood over 1/2" plywood and liner. I think my wife is going to like the look of the epoxy terrazo though. Thanks again.

Cpeters

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's very popular to have a fiberglass porch along the coast of NJ. I've had one for 20+ years. They install similar to fiberglass in a shower pan or
on a surfboard. I not sure about a do it yourself projects, the fumes could kill you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's your avoidance of tile?

While costly, you can buy porcelain panels up to about 4'x10', and maybe even larger! If you were to put in a linear drain, slope the whole floor in a single plane, you could get by with two panels for the floor, then decide how much of the walls you wanted with that tile. Now, it takes someone with the right tools and training to install that size panel, but it's possible and they are out there in various colors and patterns.

It's tough to retrofit a wet room into a basement slab without major work. Well, it's tough to do one on any floor without mods and not have an unacceptable transition in/out of the room. The advantage of a linear drain is you could leave the entrance at grade, while dropping things to the other end. In this case, a wall-hung toilet and sink/vanity tends to work better to account for the now sloping floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks