Does Home Depot "cheapen" their toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I found this funny, as HD typically uses the brands it sells in their bathrooms. I wonder if Toto signed a deal with HD.

Maybe they got tired of plunging, and decided to get something that works better?

Pburydboy

Reaction score
Today I was at Lowes and noticed their American Standard toilets were on sale. They looks like the Cadet 3 line but didn't say Cadet 3 on the labels and the model numbers had a different prefix. So I asked. The woman told me that Home Depot has the Cadet 3 name and there's are the same. She then went thru the boxes showing me one that actually said Cadet on it. Sometimes they mislabel she said.

So what does this tell me? If they are marking boxes differently than the production run is obviously dedicated to a certain store. I noticed the Lowes toilet tanks had no Styrofoam liner but the Depot ones are lined.

There you go. The obviously have runs for big box stores and I wouldn't not be surprized if quality control was cut to meet price points. They had an open box I looked at and the tank was terrible. The bottom was not flat anywhere on it including the gasket seating. I mean really, really! wonky and there was a blue stain clearly showing the gasket leaked. I could actually see the gap of about 1/16 where the pre installed gasket made no contact with the tank bottom. Some sap will take that home and wonder what he is doing wrong. No one seemed to care. I also noticed the "donut" that goes between the tank and bowl was completely different than the one I got with my toilet at HD. Closer to foam than rubber. I could see that break down with chlorinated water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks