Does Enzyme Cleaner Get Killed Off With Boiling Water

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
My Sink Drains see anywhere on average of 1 gallon of boiling water at least every day or every other day (depends what's getting blanched).

Currently in the middle of a enzyme treatment. It's -touted- that the enzymes actually grow more with each treatment inside the piping system.

Bearing me pouring boiling water down my kitchen sink (in which this is the drain pipe I am treating ), am I literally killing the enzymes that I am trying to -work into the pipe- ? I believe I already know the answer but I'll let the pro's chime in

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've concluded, and correct me if I'm mistaken, that boiling water may/will kill off the enzymes I am pouring in that it will make contact. Granted this is tailpipe, sink trap - but once it goes past that, whether it be a horizontal or vertical transition, the water is only making contact on the -water level-, so figure 1/3 of the ID of the pipe. So while some enzyme is wasted in this application, due to hot water usage from the stove, with daily applications over the course of 7-10 days, the enzymes attract to the organic matter in the pipe and will mitigate/leeach to the upper surfaces of the pipe where water is not making contact anyhow. So doing a enzyme treatment is still beneficial, albeit, I am wasting some due to the -unintended killoff-

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks