Does a shower drain have to run vertical to the trap?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ETOH, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ETOH

ETOH New Member

thanks in advance for any input. I am running 2" drain line on the first floor with open basement access from below. About 7-8" directly below where the shower drain is to come through the floor is a copper supply line. My question is if is is okay to use 2 45's back to back as in the picture to give me the offset needed. The 2" from the drain would be on top and the p trap at the bottom of the picture. I can replumb the existing copper if need be, but if this is okay it would be quicker.

Thanks,
    ET

edit: picture didn't load.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    It is not ideal because you cannot check the trap seal from above, but other than that it is acceptable.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ETOH

ETOH New Member

thanks for the reply hj. I am going to try and get the straight pipe in there if there is enough play but nice to know this is an option if I don't want to repipe.

5. lowbuster

lowbuster New Member

use two street 45 degrees and roll them to wbere open end is up to the drain. this creates less angle if needed. the shower gasket will fit on male end of the street fitting