Do you really need hammer arestors for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Laundry and dishwasher? I don't have them in my house and I hear no hammer. Average psi in town is 40-60 psi. We don't have water meters, expansion tanks, pressure reduce valves or backflows in 95% of are houses here. I could maybe understand if you had 80psi. Can someone tell me the theory why you need them

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any quick closing valve using a solenoid can use them.
Dishwasher
Washer
Icemaker

That bang in the night when the icemaker fills and the house is quiet, will sometimes wake people up.
It's still an issue in the 40-60 range.

Is everyone on a well there? No water meters?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Laundry and dishwasher? I don't have them in my house and I hear no hammer. Average psi in town is 40-60 psi. We don't have water meters, expansion tanks, pressure reduce valves or backflows in 95% of are houses here. I could maybe understand if you had 80psi. Can someone tell me the theory why you need them
We don't need them in our area either, but UPC does say they need to be installed on appliances with quick acting valves. So whatever inspector you had is just choosing to enforce that provision of the code now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We don't need them in our area either, but UPC does say they need to be installed on appliances with quick acting valves. So whatever inspector you had is just choosing to enforce that provision of the code now.
What happened in my area, was that they started replacing the old meters with water meters that had check valves on them. It's a quick simple change-out for them, which then meant immediate issues inside the home with things like failing gas water heaters, plumbed without expansion tanks and hammering from things like ice makers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks