Do you have to use a closet bend after a toilet flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
If I wanted to go down about 12 inches after the toilet flange to avoid have to cut joists, can I just use a piece of pipe and a coupler into a wye combo?

Similar to this, but the combo would be on its back for the vertical to horizontal transition.

When do you have to use a closet bend?

What's the difference between a spigot bend, and a hub bend?

flange_to_stack.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Putting the "Y" on its back introduces new dynamics and we would have to know WHAT is happening upstream of the "Y" to determine if, and how, it could be done. A hub bend uses a section of pipe between the bend and the flange. A spigot bend attaches directly to the flange.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Putting the "Y" on its back introduces new dynamics and we would have to know WHAT is happening upstream of the "Y" to determine if, and how, it could be done. A hub bend uses a section of pipe between the bend and the flange. A spigot bend attaches directly to the flange.

What if the upstream is just a cleanout?

Is a spigot bend similar to a street?

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Does Lowes carry closet bends? I went yesterday to pick up some stuff for the washer/dryer rough in and I didn't see a single piece labled "closet bend".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do NOT buy my plumbing stuff from Lowes, so I cannot answer that question. It may be that their clientele does NOT know what a closet bend is so they would not buy one even if Lowes sold them. Most DIYers, and some plumbers, use elbows and street elbows to make the toilet connection.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
I do NOT buy my plumbing stuff from Lowes, so I cannot answer that question. It may be that their clientele does NOT know what a closet bend is so they would not buy one even if Lowes sold them. Most DIYers, and some plumbers, use elbows and street elbows to make the toilet connection.

Streets and elbows just as good? What's the advantages of using closet bends?

Can you reccommend a plumbing supply place that might be nationally known, or just go to my local building supply?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks