Do we have any warranty experts.. on board?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Chambers

Reaction score
Question: When a tech comes in and smartly voids your warranty does it void just the item the tampered with or does that void the entire system warranty.. My guess is entire warranty as the mfg can now say that unauthorized repairs have been made and it could afffect the entire system.. and true it can..

So here is what i mean... I have a Trane GEO split system and the water shutoff valve located in the compress cabinet in the garage developed an internal leak.. mind you small but very aggravating.. as about every thirty minutes it allows enough leakage thru the vale to deplete my accumulated water pressure and activate the pump to restore the lost water to the system (open system). Its a waste of electricity to have the water pump kick in each 20-30 min and extra wear and tear on the pump.. not to mention that the pump can be heard cycling in the garage..(unnecessary noise). The company tried twice to replace the guts inside the shutoff valve with negative results.. still leaks internally.. I liked the idea of the gut replace due to not having to take a torch and cut out the old SOV.. as i know many tech do ugly solders.... however time for drastic action. The next crew came in and wanting to stop the problem forever.. cut the valve out of the inside of the compressor cabinet and replaced it with a nice shiny 3/4 inch pipe that extends out the normal line hole in the cabinet.. So instead of ordering a warranty replacement for the failing SOV they trashed it and extended the line outside the cabinet and added a RainBird plastic SOV.. nice but now my warranty is voided... Try asking Trane next year to seen a tech out on warranty to replace the failing Rainbird valve... Good Luck with that one...
So I am wondering what my options are... is the entire system warranty void or just that valve.. or just that unit.. and can i demand that my installer now replace that unit with a new one that is covered by warranty.
Thoughts. I am sure this is probably a common occurrence ... voiding the warranty by a tech..
I thought about calling the MFG but maybe i should give the installer the chance to solve the problem..first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks