Do these numbers sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyf3

Reaction score
I bid out the shell of a room and bath addition (crawl space foundation, framing, roofing, windows and exterior). I did not bid out the plumbing at all, I was going to do that seperately in March. The way the addition is layed out we have no external walls with plumbing fixtures so I do not have an issue passing framing inspection.

We are choosing the contractor for the shell this week. All of the contractors added plumbing and electrical to their bids. Just looking for opinions on the plumbing numbers I got.

Bathroom addition is 9x13'. Toilet, tub, shower w/ two heads, two sinks.
To reach the bathroom we'll need about 45ft of 3 in drain pipe

-First bid was 6950 for rough/finished plumbing w/ pex and I provide all fixtures including tub/toilet. This is the total price
-Second bid was 6800 for rough/finished plumbing w/ pex, I provide all fixtures including tub/toilet. I pay GC 20% of the 6900 and get a 5yr warranty
-Third bid was 5000 for rough/finished w/ pex, i provide all fixtures

Thoughts? I'm not sure what to think :confused:
I'm in Folsom Ca, which is just outside Sacramento.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bid

45' of drain pipe, and just where does it run to make the connection. We would also have to know where those fixtures are and where the walls were. They could all be a few dollars high, or thousands low.

tonyf3

Reaction score
The 45' run: All the new plumbing will connect into the end run which is in a bathroom. They will hook up the drain line and there will be a 27' straight run to the new toilet. About 9' on the new drain it will WYE off to pick up the bath/shower, etc. So 45' total of drain pipe

Rough sketch attatched. green is waste and red is fixture. there is a stem wall that will be biult between the bath and shower that will house the supply lines. Thanks

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 261

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So what you are looking for is a price to install this, from a bunch of guys that have never seen the project? Sure, no problem. I would charge 25 grand sight un seen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbing

1. I would not run the pipes that way.
2. If that is the existing building to the left of the addition, then accessing an adequate drain line could be expensive,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbing

1. I would not run the pipes that way.
2. If that is the existing building to the left of the addition, then accessing an adequate drain line could be expensive, if not impossible, depending on its depth.

Jastori

Reaction score
You have three bids which are reasonably consistent with each other. If the three bids are from contractors with good reputations, experience, etc., you can probably assume that the ballpark cost is reasonable. At that point, I would base a final decision on other factors - reputation, references, etc.

tonyf3

Reaction score
thanks for the input. To be honest, the two contractors who are high know my wife just gave birth and that she's jittery about getting this done now. I did not tell the third guy and he came in less. We are on a raised foundation and we meet grade for the new drain pipe, have 26-36" clearance under the house and we'll be opening up the floors for the plumber to make the connections to the existing (which is on the left of the drawing)

two of the plumbers said they would take no more than a week to have it roughed to finished install. So i'm just trying to understand if paying someone $6800 for 40hrs of work (doesn't include the actual fixtures) is reasonable. I guess if I'm asking the question I must not think it's reasonable.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It is never reasonable or ethical to ask professionals to evaluate someone elses price. We havn't seen the job nor can we do anything more than speculate on the conditions. Therefore for anyone to say the price is too high or too low would be unprofessional.

Jastori

Reaction score
If you are uncomfortable with the bids you have, the best thing you could do is get a couple more. There is no way that people here can provide an accurate estimate.

You indicated that you were not intending to include the plumbing in your bids. You could call in a couple of independent plumbers to bid it separately. If it is important for you to keep the plumbing separate, and the general is not willing to accomodate you, you may need to find a different contractor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks