Do pressure tanks support either 30/50 or 40/60 cut-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Perryjm07

Reaction score
I have two pressure tanks and are about 4ft tall. so I assume that is a large tank size on a 40/60 pressure switch. I have a two story house that is 20 yrs old but the water pressure in my house is really good. However my pressure in my tank is only at 32 psi and when trying to fill the tanks to 37-38 it seems like it maxed out.

I'm hoping that I don't damage the badders trying to set the pressure to the 3-minus cut-in. I'm curious to hear if tanks support both cut-in pressues

Reach4

Reaction score
Air precharge is measured and set with the water pressure zero.

If the water pressure is higher than the air precharge pressure, the air pressure will measure about the same as the water pressure, compensating for altitude at 0.43psi per foot. That altitude difference would be from the water pressure gauge to the diaphragm height inside of the pressure tank. If there is a big difference in readings, at least one of your gauges is inaccurate.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The pump has to be off and the drain valve open when adding air. If it does not hold the desired air pressure, then you have a busted diaphragm.

It could be that the air compressor/tire inflator you are using simply cannot make that much pressure. I suspect you are using a small tire inflator meant for automobiles and not a compressor, or your air compressor regulator is set lower than the desired pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It could be that the tank will not take any air, or that the air side of the diaphragm is full of water and won't take air. Having two tanks is a sign of a large pump or a cycling problem. Either of those will cause the diaphragms in the tanks to go up and down over and over until they break like bending a piece of wire back and forth. If the pressure is good now, it would be really good if you added a Cycle Stop Valve to get strong constant 55 PSI all the time instead of 40 to 60 over and over as it is doing now. Plus, the CSV would eliminate the cycling problem, making the pump and tank last much longer. If you have a bad tank now, it is time to look in to the CSV as you won't need a big expensive tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks