Do I need to vent a sauna floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

donl1150

Reaction score
I am about to build a sauna room inside my heated garage. The space is currently occupied by a utility sink which will be removed. The sauna will have a rain forest shower inside. The existing utility sink drain line will be used for the floor drain in the sauna. See the attached pdf for a section view.

As you can see, the existing drain line simply empties into a floor drain in the crawl via an air break.

My question is do I need to vent the new floor drain in the sauna? My thought is NO, since that line has an air break where it dumps into the floor drain in the crawl space. For that matter, I don't even need a trap in the sauna drain because of that air break. Thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• Plumbing.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 934
Reactions: hj
Reaction score
You will not need a trap, nor a vent for that setup.

Basically you are building a simple gravity gutter system for your shower drain that goes to an existing floor drain which is already vented and trapped.

On the rare occurance that there is some sort of foul or unwanted smell coming from the 4' crawl space, you can decide to trap it and vent it with an AAV from the garage side.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You may not NEED a trap, but you might want to install one anyway to prevent cold drafts from the drain. There will not be enough water flow to require a vent, however.

donl1150

Reaction score
You will not need a trap, nor a vent for that setup.

Basically you are building a simple gravity gutter system for your shower drain that goes to an existing floor drain which is already vented and trapped.

On the rare occurance that there is some sort of foul or unwanted smell coming from the 4' crawl space, you can decide to trap it and vent it with an AAV from the garage side.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Doubt any foul smell from that crawl space drain.....never has been one & I get down there on a regular basis.

donl1150

Reaction score
You may not NEED a trap, but you might want to install one anyway to prevent cold drafts from the drain. There will not be enough water flow to require a vent, however.
Thanks....not concerned about any cool drafts from down there either. After all, this will be a sauna @ 120F or so. On top of the concrete floor, I plan on a removable 1x2 wooden lattice type structure so you walk on wood rather than concrete or tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks