Do I need to upsize to 1” PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

KCunningham

Reaction score
I’m trying to clean Up/organize my water filter system because it’s an unsightly mess. In doing this I’ll need to add in a number of PEX elbows to go between my 4 backwash filters. 3/4 copper supply. My biggest concern is drop of flow rate as these backwash filters need at least 5 gpm flow to work and I’m teetering that with my 1hp jet pump and dug well.

I have all the supplies for 3/4 PEX but was advised that I may need to use 1” PEX to make up for all the elbows.. Does this sound right? Any advice appreciated thanks!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably. If these pipes are carrying all the water for a house, 3/4" PEX is on the small side, it's smaller than 3/4" copper. 1" PEX would be a bit bigger than 3/4" copper and more typical.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
While making your changes, consider installing some pressure gauges or boiler drain valves. The drain valves can accept a garden hose thread pressure gauge, and a pressure gauge is a good way to know which filter is getting clogged.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber and have never installed a filter.

Here is a video that I watched and found very informative:

Pat is a plumber in Alberta.

KCunningham

Reaction score
I have a pressure gauge before the series of filters and then another at the end. My thought is if there’s pressure drop I can bypass each filter one at a time to test which is clogged. That works right?
Also my pressure is 60psi I’m noticing..isn’t 50psi more standard. I think higher psi lowers flow rate?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have bypasses around each filter, that should work.
"Also my pressure is 60psi I’m noticing..isn’t 50psi more standard. I think higher psi lowers flow rate?"
Huh? Maybe you are talking about a pump. Maybe you are talking about a filter.
You should make a schematic of your system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks