Do I need to seal an unused well that was never grouted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Donna Davis

Reaction score
My husband and I have a well that was drilled about 9 years ago but never put in use. It is 300' deep and the depth to water level is about 26'.

We have clay soil that is snug around the casing but I understand that wells should be grouted with Bentonite clay or a Bentonite-cement mix to seal out ground/rain water.

Since it wasn't sealed before and the gap is now filled in, should a gap be dug out now and sealed or could it be considered self-sealed now?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hopefully that well was grouted or cemented properly 9 years ago? That is one of the requirements of the driller to have the well sealed properly. If not, call them back out. It is hard to seal a well after the fact. The grout or cement should be installed to like 10'-25' below the surface, depending on rules for your state. In our state a driller could be in big trouble for not having sealed that well at the time of completion.

Donna Davis

Reaction score
Would the grout be in deep around the casing and not present a foot or two below ground level?

We had to dig up around the casing and repair a break a couple of years ago - DH hit it with the lawnmower. We didn't see any grout so I assumed it wasn't grouted.

The driller is retired and was at the time. He was about the only driller around here in "the boonies" and the only one who would call us back. He has no log of it and doesn't remember any of the details. He did tell us that it couldn't have been 300' deep because his rig was not set up for any deeper than 200'. We used a weight too light to get a good measurement so will redo that.

I don't know what the rules are here but will research it.

Thank you valveman for responding.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
In Texas a surface completion means the well is sealed from the surface to 10' below ground. A pitless adapter completion requires 25' of seal below the pitless if I remember correctly. That means the seal would not be seen above the pitless, which is some areas could be 5' to 8' deep.

Donna Davis

Reaction score
Ok so sealing may have been done below pitless level.

But likely not at all. It looks like there are cases for which it is not required here.

ADEM Admin. Code R. 335-9-x-.xx states at Rule .06 (a) (4) "Casing may be driven, lowered, or installed in any manner which will affect a continuous watertight installation. In those wells where there is an annulus, it shall be filled with puddled clay and/or cement grout in the manner prescribed in Rule .06 (a) (1)."

I guess if there is not a significant (?) annulus space. I do have a vague recollection of understanding that the casing was driven down.

I have ordered an extensive water test kit and will find out if it's been contaminated by runoff.

Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I'll bet the driller will remember if the well was drilled using a casing driver or an annular space. And yes with a casing driver there is no annular space to grout. But with regular drilling methods there will be an annular space that must be filled with something.

Donna Davis

Reaction score
Thank you valveman for the confirmation that there can be no annulus space to grout if casing is driven.

Tried to call the driller again but didn't get him but my cousin who used the same one said he watched the casing on his being driven in so I am confident ours was also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks