Do I need to replace this toilet flange, or is there a way to save it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gremlin!

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have always gotten stellar advice from this community, so here goes:

For reference: My place is a townhome with a concrete subfloor, built in '79. When I moved in, everything in it was all original.

Had a contractor put down new cement tile, and install a new toilet. When he was done, the toilet was REALLY crooked. for a host of reasons, I told him not to come back, and I decided I would take it up and fix it myself.

Took it up, and I have an ABS flange that was installed so that when the johnny bolts are put in on center, one of them is just at the part where the slot starts to get small, and the other is where the slot is at it's largest, so the bolt just comes right up- nothing for the head to grab onto. The edge of that side is also bent up a bit. I'm attaching photos, because this is probably hard to follow. drew a pink line were the bolts sit when on center.

Also, when I took the toilet up, it looked like my contractor had shimmed it by using a penny in the back, and a quarter in the front. What's that about?

Anyway, am I SOL? I have a local plumber who says he will take out the old flange/put a new one in for $350. If I can avoid paying that and salvaging what is here, I'd like to. If I am just asking for trouble down the line by not replacing, then paying the plumber it is!

Thanks, All.

Attachments

• IMG_6030.jpg
    IMG_6030.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_6031.JPG
    IMG_6031.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 226

Reach4

Reaction score
You can use a repair ring. There is more than one kind. I think the best for you would be one similar to the Sioux Chief 886-MR. It is not split. It go over the top of your existing flange and would firmly hold your closet bolts.
886-mr.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can sometimes use washers to hold it down, or install a repair flange to secure the bolts. With concrete I use a rotohammer to drill the floor for the concrete anchors, or if it's lightweight concrete, a poured mix over plywood, that my not be a good idea. If the existing screws can come and go, you may be able to use them to afix the flange.

red_ring_repair.jpg

Gremlin!

Reaction score
I was hoping to hear answers like this. Thank you! I'll try one of these this week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks